1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP: folders don't open on double-click, search window opens instead.. help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by qirex, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qirex

qirex Thread Starter

First, I apologise, but this is a bit lengthy as I am not very familiar with windows (more a mac person), and I'm not sure what level of detail is necessary.

I had some spyware/viruses/malware recently, and they've now all been cleaned up with internet security software, but I still have a lingering problem: when I double-click on a folder, instead of the folder opening, a new window opens and it's a search window, with the destination folder (ie the one I just clicked on) as a value in the parameter "look in:". The only way I can just open a folder is to right-click, and select open.

I have a feeling I may have done this to myself when I was trying to get rid of the spyware (or whatever it was) before I sucked it up and spent half my rent money on a new subscription to Norton...

When I right-click on a folder, the menu reads: "Search (bolded) / Open / Explore" etc. which doesn't seem right.

I tried to fix it by changing some options in Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types. There are two kinds of folder, "File Folder" and "Folder". In the advanced options for "File Folder", the only action it lists is "find"... I'm not sure if this is where the problem is or if this is normal? I tried to add a new action, but it wanted me to select an application to perform the action and I have no idea... In the advanced options for "Folder", it looks to be normal, it lists the actions "explore" and "open" (bolded).

The only folder that seems unaffected by this problem is the "Documents" folder on the desktop, and any shortcuts that point to folders.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? I'm at a loss :(

2. qirex

qirex Thread Starter

I got a reply on another forum, in case someone has the same problem and would like the solution:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?p=1061123#post1061123

Posted by Tufenuf:
    Running regsvr32 /i shell32 worked for me :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice