1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP freeze & black screen after log in

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MA$H, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MA$H

MA$H Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm not entirely sure but I think this problem started around the time I upgraded my GPU to an ATI 5770. Its really strange and VERY annoying! Doesn't happen all the time, but only right after logging in to Windows XP, and while the windows chime is playing, the sound will cut off and the monitor will turn off (no signal) and then nothing happens, no restart, no blue screen! I have to restart the PC manually. I can't even get into damn safe mode because all I am faced with is a black screen, monitor is on but no picture. :mad:

I have done all the basic steps, i.e Virus Scan (even root kit scan) Check Disk, Memory Test, tried disabling services and programs, also did a Windows Repair to no avail If only I could get into "Safe Mode" I could do some more testing. I have a feeling its got something to do with the graphics card, problem is I don't have a spare card that I can test, or a spare PC to test it in at this time. Any ideas??

Specs:
    XP 64 Pro SP2
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon X2 255 3.11ghz
    4Gb Ram (non dual channel)
    ATI Radeon 5770

Really appreciate any help from experienced Support guru's out there.

2. MA$H

MA$H Thread Starter

$20 to the person who helps me resolve this, I promise.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973889