1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP hangs during boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NannerPdn, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NannerPdn

NannerPdn Thread Starter

When booting, the Windows user login screen comes up, I click OK (no password required), when that window grays out, it hangs up. Sometimes I'll get another small window on top of the login after I click ok saying something about it is checking the wireless network, then it will disappear and the grayed out login is back. There is a little band of moving color on the grayed out login that is still active for a bit but then it quits and that's as far as we go. After clicking ok there is no, or barely, visible processor light activity. I shut down, wait a bit, retry til she boots.

I have XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 600M. XP Pro came on the system and is a Dell version. This problem was occasional a couple of months ago, but has gotten worse and to get on here now took many multiple attempts and several hours.

After reading related posts about XP boot problems, I'm a bit confused, so need the sage direction of all you kind geeks.

I have used the restore in an earlier attempt to fix the problem, but it didn't help for long. Also ran diagnostics and no errors listed. It was suggested that having too many programs running at start up might cause the hang up?

I'm not clear on whether a boot disk will help me or possibly the recovery download?? Other options? How should I proceed?

Can't wait to get this straightened out. Thanks!

2. stressfreesoul

stressfreesoul

Start up in safe mode (F8 after POST, then select safe mode), then (if its still available) scan for virus's.
    Post back if you have problems.

3. NannerPdn

NannerPdn Thread Starter

Many thanks for that simple fix idea. I was able to do the quick scan, but the full scan was taking so long, and I am also having a possible lcd inverter problem which is worse when plugged in to power cord, so did not want to leave it overnight to finish. Will try that again today.

But...even though the quick scan reported nothing, it booted up first time this morning. Such simple pleasures!!

Thanks again and will report back with my progress.

4. NannerPdn

NannerPdn Thread Starter

No go after the scan. But, so far, if I start in Safe Mode and then restart, it will boot. What does that mean??

What other options do I have?

5. NannerPdn

NannerPdn Thread Starter

I finally decided to try a reinstall. Took a few times of running it, but she boots up like a dream now.

There are now some other problems, mostly from the reinstall being SP1a, and I'm having trouble getting SP3 to download, but I think once I get that figured out, I'll be back in bidness.

Thanks all,

M

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice