1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Home Edition OEM Repair Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Win7x64Hater, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Win7x64Hater

Win7x64Hater Thread Starter

Hi. The question is: Can i repair install XP Home SP3 OEM (genuine) with XP Home SP2 OEM CD (genuine)?

I am repairing a box and on it is XP home sp3 oem but i dont have the original cd for this box. I have bought an XP home sp2 oem cd. Both have genuine numbers and both are OEM-COA. I dont want to try anything as yet just in case all the passwords and data are lost. Generally i would do a full reinstall but this is not my box.

I have looked for the answer "out there" but none has been found.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you get the "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.". You should create a slipstreamed copy of your XP CD by using the software and step by steps supplied in the links below

You will receive the above message.

You cannot repair SP3 with SP2

See these guide as to how to repair and follow one of them carefully
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#slipstreamxpcd

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm
    Slipstreaming guides

http://www.winsupersite.com/xp/sp3_slipstream.asp

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

My advice
    1. Back up everything possible before you start.
    2. Ensure you have the product key from the present installation.
    3. A Repair Install will replace files altered by adware and malware, but will not fix an adware, malware problem.

3. Anon B

Anon B

you may want to find out what key was used on the current installation...
    MagicJellyBean key finder.

To Repair Install a SP3 installation you will need to have an XP install CD with SP3 integrated into it, use the links given by Macboatmaster and make a new CD ;)
    I recommend using nLite

4. Win7x64Hater

Thank you guys for the quick reply. That information was very helpful. One more question in regards to repair installs: The current version on the box is Windows XP SP3 OEM (jellybean confirms the product key as the same on the COA sticker), can i then do a repair install with a XP SP3 genuine disk even if it is not an OEM disk or does it have to be an OEM disk?

5. Anon B

Anon B

If it is a Retail version of the installation CD I believe you can use it along with the OEM code and it will install and activate ok
    why not just make anew SP3 slipstreamed CD from your SP2 OEM CD as we have suggested.??

6. Win7x64Hater

Ok thanks guys. Ill try this Slipstreaming thing. Ive read all the info on it but its all new to me. Ive never done this before. How i can get sp3 from a sp2 disk is beyond me but ill try. Ill keep you posted.

7. Anon B

Anon B

you dont, I take it you havent read through and digested the information in the links given to you yet. No bother... in a nutshell, to accomplish it you need

a. Your XP SP2 installation CD
    b. The full SP3 installation file - LINK
    c. nLite LINK
    d. Blank CD

perhaps this article will explain things more clearly for you
    LINK

8. Macboatmaster

I echo what Anon B has said.
    In my first post I provided ALL the info you could possibly need, with how to DO IT in step by step guides.
    Anon B added to this by providing to you the link for the porduct key recovery program, which I had already told you to ensure you had.
    We can ONLY provide the help on this forum if you choose NOT to read the links that are sent to you - we cannot do any more.
    The reason we send it as links is because it saves us hours of work typing all the information .
    With respect, READ what is sent to you.

9. Win7x64Hater

Ok. Here i am again. And yes i will mark this as Solved as soon as it is. I have just got the cd in from the US. Its an XP Pro sp3 OEM Genuine.

Can i repair install with this cd?
    And what if i install from inside Windows? (ie. boot into Windows, load disk and run install from there) Is this a repair install?

I am a bother i know but i do not want to lose all the programs plus they, the customer, cant remember all the passwords.

Can i use recovery console to repair install?

I have tried but i cant do it. I have researched with no luck.

10. Macboatmaster

You cannot repair XP Home with XP Professional or the other way round.
    A repair install needs XP Home to XP Home
    Xp Professional to Xp Professional.
    Why not just do as we suggested and slipstream SP3 to the XP Home CD you have.

11. Win7x64Hater

Hi. I think we may be on a different page here guys although i am very thankful for the suggestions.

The issue is not slipstreaming, or xp home or pro. The issue is OEMs. I do not want to lose passwords and installed programs and the like. Data has been backed up but passwords and installed programs cant be. As far as i have read, slipstreaming wont copy passwords, program etc.

I am led to believe that OEMs Can Not do Repair Installs. Is this correct? I have been reading a lot on Repair OEMs with retail cds but i have not read Repair OEM with OEM which is what i want to do. Yes i do have SP3 Pro OEM but will be getting SP3 Home OEM (genuine).

So the question is: Can i do a repair install from Win XP Home SP3 OEM-COA cd to an installed Win XP Home SP3 OEM-COA? I ask here because i cant find an answer elsewhere. I have tried Win XP Pro SP3 OEM-COA and the option is not there to do so and it is because of what you have said, ie Pro on Home. Wont Work!

I am sorry to be a bother but i really want to give this box back.

Many thanks in advance.

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

13. Win7x64Hater

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES

When the cd arrives i will try it out and let you know.

Once again, thank you very much.

14. Macboatmaster

With the greatest of respect we are going round in circles. The link that Frank4d has sent you is entirely CORRECT, as is his post. However I sent you that link back in my post 2. and we are now on post 13.
    You CANNOT carry out a repair install of XP HOME which is what you said was on your computer, with the CD you say you have ordered which you say is XP Professional.
    The quote above is from your post 9. and that is what I answered in my post 10.

Additionally - you do not use the recovery console to carry out a repair install.
    Again all necessary information on the repair install was provided by me in post 2 and as AnonB said in post 7.
    Have you read the links?

Finally and I do appreciate that you may not like this comment - but you say the customer - as if this is a commercial undertaking of some sort.
    If you have to ask how to do a repair install and do not understand "slipstreaming" SP3 to the XP SP2 CD then I am bound to say - "Should you really be undertaking repairs on a "customer" basis.

15. Win7x64Hater

My level of experience is not the issue but thank you for your opinion. Just for the record, Ive done 100s if not 1000s of Repair Installs, just not with OEM boxes that have no cd.

I have read All the info provided by you guys and some did answer my questions and some didn't.

Thanks again for your reply. Ill keep you posted

(Im buyin a Mac!!) ;-)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/954775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice