1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: [XP Home] Screen Resolution and Color Problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jim Miller, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Thread Starter

First off, I purchased my computer back in 2004 preloaded with Windows XP Home. Just last week, I got a serious virus on my computer. It disabled system restore, wiped all restore points, disabled windows help, and deleted some important files. I went out and bought a new copy of Windows XP Home SP2. It installed fine at first. But, once I logged on, I realized my color setting and screen resolution were very low. A message popped up on my system tray saying something about screen resolution and color were very low. It asked to
    fix it. I clicked ok but nothing happened for about 2 minutes. Then, I went into display settings, and saw the settings were the lowest.

But, the slider for screen resolution was set at 640 x 480. I tried to move it, but it wouldn't move. Also, the drop down list for color quality only had one option, "Lowest (4 bit)". I restarted my computer, but it was the same. I cant change it. On the old copy of Windows, the screen resolution was 1024 x 768, and the color could go up high. I forget the setting though. Also, I did not change my monitor. Does anyone know whats wrong or how to fix it?

Heres some information about my computer:
    OS: Windows XP Home Edition. Version 2002. Service Pack 2.
    RAM: 504 MB
    Processor: Pentium 4 1.80Ghz.
    Monitor: 15 in. Flat Screen LCD. Made by Gateway.

My Desktop:
    [​IMG]

Wont Let Me Change:
    [​IMG]

I just tried that. When I looked at my graphics card info, this came up:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your time,
    Jim Miller

2. simelwill

simelwill

You must install the drivers for your graphics card - find the cd for it or go to their website and download the latest drivers - you are using a generic Windows driver that does no more than enable you to see things on your monitor.

3. Jim Miller

thank you.

4. simelwill

simelwill

did this resolve your issue?

5. Jim Miller

it says i dont have a graphics card. That doesn't make sence tho...

6. zabusant

zabusant

It's possible it doesn't recognize the card before you install the drivers - have you done this yet?

7. Jim Miller

i forget what the card is, so i cant install the drivers until i know the card. So basically its forming a cycle =[

8. zabusant

zabusant

Well, you should try to look for the documentation the PC or the card came with - if you have it. Have you tried going to Control Panel - Add new hardware and search for new hardware

9. zabusant

zabusant

10. Jim Miller

that only tells me what i already have drivers for. At least i think...

Wait, so right now im trying to find out graphics card? Then after that i download driver?

EDIT: I think it only does drivers. I clicked collect all, and it just gives me a list of drivers and dates updated and stuff like that.

11. zabusant

zabusant

No, this should detect the hardware, not only the installed drivers. After you find out the make and model of your graphics card, downloading the drivers is easy;)

12. Jim Miller

did u install the program yourself?

EDIT: Could this be it:
    Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E

13. zabusant

zabusant

Yup, when I did

Using My Drivers

Collect OS-independent hardware information with/without drivers installed:

Click 'Identify all system devices' option on software startup to get the detailed information of all hardware devices phsically consitute your computer system. This detection might take 2 to 10 seconds depending on the number of hardware devices in your computer. You might click the title of each detected hardware device, and expand the details. Information gathered includes hardware product name, hardware manufacturer, chip/chipset name, hardware OEM name, OEM vender, hardware release version.

This should do the trick, can't find the option tho, sorry - but the Fast collect found all my hardware (maybe because the drivers are already installed);)

14. zabusant

zabusant

15. Jim Miller

what what u mean on program startup? I run it, then it comes to purchase screen, and i click "Register Later." Then, u mean i click Collect | Collect All?

EDIT: So thats the video card thing? How do I find out the maker and stuff?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice