1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Install cannot detect SATA hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyclone5uk, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyclone5uk

cyclone5uk Thread Starter

My SATA HD is a Seagate Barracude 120gb NCQ, and my Motherboard is an Asus P4S800DE.

When I try and install XP it tells me that it did not detect a HD. So I tried copying the Sis Raid drivers onto a floppy then pressing F6 to install them during XP setup as was described in the Asus manual. Didn't work. Then I tried flashing my Bios to a newer version that apparantly solved any Sata detection problems. Still no luck.

Can anyone suggest anything?

2. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

when you boot up go into your raid conotrol panel. it will say "press ctrl+a to enter the raid control panel" or something along those lines and find an option that says delete all raid arrays. and do NOT hit f6 in the windows xp setup. or in your bios look for how SATA is setup should be an option between RAID and IDE, switch it over to IDE and you should have no problems.

3. cyclone5uk

Okay, I went into the RAID control panel, and I couldn't actually get into the RIAD options as it says "Not enough disk can be created RIAD".

I then tried to set the SATA to IDE, but unfortunatly the only options available for SATA detection are "enable or "disable". There are no other options in the bios that relate to SATA.

Perhaps I should mention, when my system initially boots up it says "primary SATA device" and lists my new SATA drive. It then goes into a second bootup screen, but this time says "ptimary SATA device - not detected".

4. cyclone5uk

I think I may know what I did wrong.

I downloaded the PDF of the manual for my mobo. I originally thought that all the SATA ports used the same chipset. In fact ports 1 and 2 use the SIS964, whilst port 4 uses SIS180 and port 3 seems to use something else.

Anyway, I had plugged into port 1 and using the “make disk” utility made a driver disk for the XP install of the SIS180 drivers (I know realise it didn't work as this port uses the 964 chipset)

I will plug into port 4 instead and try it again tonight when I get home from work.

I’ll post back to say if it worked or not.

5. cyclone5uk

It worked.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice