1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP install on new hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by icechill, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icechill

icechill Thread Starter

I'm hoping you guys can help me with something - I'm doing a favor for a buddy. His wife's laptop crashed - I don't know the whole story, only that I'm gonna try to pick up the pieces. The Geek Squad was able to rescue some files but said the hard drive was toast. Basically, I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 (service tag H1PY151) with a brand new hard drive and not a whole lot else. Supposedly, they didn't recieve any CD's from Dell, so the called Dell up and got 3 CD's sent to them - a Roxio CD, a reinstallation CD for CyberLink PowerDVD 5.5, and a reinstallation CD for XP Home SP2. This is my first problem:

-Am I wrong in assuming that this reinstallation disk is worthless for my intent and purpose? It's a blank slate, so I have nothing to reinstall over, correct?
    - Would it work to install XP from another XP disk, only use the product key on the sticker on this particular laptop?

Assuming that I can use another XP disk, what can I expect when I turn this computer on? I've never done a fresh installation of any OS before. Since I have no drivers, I assume that I'll have to download them from Dell. What is the particular order I should do things? Is there any tutorial or link anyone can send me to, or walk me through it? Thanks in advance!

2. icechill

icechill Thread Starter

Anybody have any advice?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The reinstallation Windows XP CD install the operating system. Boot from it and follow the instructions. Drivers may or may not be included. If they're not, download them.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The re-installation CD is the one you want. You are re-installing over the blank drive;)

Put it in the drive and boot the system (you can wait until you have the Boot Menu up to insert the CD). As soon as the Dell logo appears, start tapping F12. This will bring up the boot menu. Choose the CD-ROM. Either Windows Setup will start, or a Dell Restore program, depends on the disk they sent you.

Doesn't sound like they sent a driver disk -- the re-install CD may have them, may not.
    Drivers can be downloaded from here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...emID=INS_CEL_1000&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

HTH

Jerry

5. allheart55

allheart55

Hello, Icechill. For future reference, you have a slight error with your service tag. Easy enough to see why, as the first 1 is actually an L. (HLPY151) The order of install is 1) chipset, 2) graphics, 3) audio, 4) network. You will need to download and save to your desktop these drivers and utilities and burn them to disk. As I have no way of knowing your wireless card, the network driver is for ethernet set-up, it will get the lap top online and you can get the wireless download from Dell website by having them run an automated configuration scan. Chipset- Download Graphics- Download Audio- Download Network- Download This is a short youtube tutorial HERE If you prefer go here Scroll down to Step-by-Step: Clean installing Windows XP (Interactive Setup)

6. icechill

icechill Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone - this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll post back if I run into any problems.
    Thanks again!

ETA - allheart55, it's most definitely a "1".....

7. icechill

icechill Thread Starter

It was successful - thanks again to all who helped!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice