1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: xp installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by holness_202, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holness_202

holness_202 Thread Starter

hi all.
    ive just built the following system
    ms 7168 (orion) mobo
    athalon 64 3500
    1gb ram
    intergrated ati gfx

was able to boot to xp :) but then obv i wanted to do a clean install as new mobo etc...
    and so i put in the xp installation disc format my c drive (seagate 120gb) it gets 2 100% then i get the message set up could not format the partition please ensure the drive is connected and turned on or it could be damaged.

as i said i booted from it not 10mins before but now i cnt install to it - i really dont want to install to my D drive as thats my storage and alll my files i need.

i do have another (fujitsu) HD but its not recognised so i cant install to that.- i think if i can get to windows it will install xp from there (i had this problem before and used the fujitsu)

so my question is why does this happen and how can i get around it
    link to my mobo info (its a bit hard 2 find otherwise)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130164611973&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

1 other thing dont think it matters though - its a 24pn atx on the board i only have a 20pin connector but like i said it all turned and worked before.

2. holness_202

bump lil help pls ?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Check to see that the drive select jumpers are set correctly on the hard drive and anything else that you have on the primary IDE cable, the hard drive should be master and anyother drive should be slave and the master is at the end of the cable and secondary is the middle connector and the other end connector farthest away from the middle connector is the connector that is plugged into the motherboard.

Also check on post that the drives are being seen properly....

4. holness_202

yep checked and rechecked as i said it was all working beore with my old board so i know all the things are set properly (i installed them)

5. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

The BEST advice I can give you is to install a 24-pin PSU, then try to boot Windows. You're trying to INSTALL Windows now, not simply boot from a HDD with Windows pre-installed. You're fooling yourself if you think using an outdated 20-pin PSU is going to work with your new 24-pin ATX motherboard...

I understand you're simply trying to make it work, but you might as well try to start your car without sparkplugs... then end result will be the same... nothing but frustration and aggravation...

Good luck; I hate to advise anyone to actually spend MONEY, but sometimes, it can't be avoided. Just FYI, I KNOW this won't work, because I've tried to work around it MULTIPLE times, with no success. Installing the proper 24-pin PSU was the ONLY way to get Windows to install, which is infuriating, but that's life...

6. holness_202

so why did it boot before? yet is unable to install? (i am a student thus not having much money) afaik the extra 4 pins were to provide extra power to the pci-e bus as the HD's have their own power supply anyway?

7. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

I don't have a lot of details for you; I can only tell you that Windows WILL usually boot when it is PREINSTALLED on a HDD, even if you switch the motherboard / CPU / chipset, though you're then faced with problems of missing drivers and reactivating Windows, but it will NOT finish a NEW installation without the proper PSU attached. I suspect that it has something to do with initializing the new hardware (such as the PCI-E bus), and that is what causes Windows to hang. I've seen this happen with SLI boards as well, so it isn't only limited to boards with a PCI-E bus; it seems to affect ALL boards with 24-pin ATX connectors...

Wish I could be more specific, but my only experience with this issue comes from repairing systems for customers, and trying to find a suitable workaround. ALL of my current systems use 20-pin ATX connectors on Socket A / Socket 462 motherboards, with AGP videocards, running AMD Mobile XP CPUs, so I don't have any systems here to do further experiments on...

Again, I REALLY dislike advising anyone to spend MONEY that they could use for more important things like women, beer, or motorcycles, but I've never seen anyone get past this problem without installing a 24-pin PSU...

As long as you don't NEED the system, you might as well keep punching; let us know if you ever find a hardware hack or some other workaround for this...

8. holness_202

ok ill keep looking then - ive moved from a socket 462 with agp and athalon xp lol hence the psu..
    mb i could install windows onto the hd from someplace else then mod it enough to work -mb use the repair tool

9. holness_202

i now have a new 530w psu with the 24 pin connector it still wont install though any more thoughts?

10. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Did you wipe the drive BEFORE you tried reinstalling Windows? If you only switched PSUs, Windows cannot FIX itself; the installation program IS BROKEN, so simply swapping the PSU is NOT going to make it work now. You MIGHT be able to restart the installation program FROM THE BEGINNING, and repair Windows during the process, but if that doesn't work, you'll have to wipe the drive BEFORE reinstalling Windows; I'd suggest using the drive manufacturer's drive tools to zero-fill the HDD, followed by a fresh installation of Windows.

Think of it this way; the engine in your car seized; someone told you the camshaft broke when the engine seized. It isn't enough simply to replace the camshaft; you also have to repair the OTHER damage that occurred when the camshaft broke and the engine seized. Judging from your earlier posts, I thought this was something you'd understand without being told, and I apologize for not taking the time to walk you through this more thoroughly before now.

If you don't want to wipe the ENTIRE drive, some drive tools (Seagate SeaTools comes to mind) will allow you to wipe only the first 300 MB of the HDD, which is USUALLY sufficient to overcome this type of problem. Other drive tools offer to do a "low-level format", which is in fact, actually just a zero-fill. HDDs are ONLY LLF'd ONCE, while they are being assembled at the factory.

Lastly, you could download a copy of MADBOOT.exe, and use it to create a bootable floppy. Boot from the MADBOOT floppy and start a "low-level format" of the drive, then STOP it after 30 minutes... NOT the elegant way to accomplish this, but I've done it when time was short... check http://www.madboot.com/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=28 for information on how to download the MADBOOT.exe floppy program...

Keep us posted... and again, I apologize for not providing more details for you previously. You seem to have a fairly good grasp of what you're doing, and I took it for granted that you'd be off and running on the full reinstall without being told. You're actually doing quite well so far, and I won't assume any extra knowledge on your part from this point forward. You've got this under control, but since there is no quick or easy way to repair an installation that failed in this manner (at least, not that I've ever had success with), you've now got to drop back a few steps and put the hammer to the HDD to get everything right again.

Good luck; hope this helps you accomplish your goals...

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you were using a PSU with a 20-pin connector in a 24-pin slot you might have done some damage to the Motherboard. Since the connections being made are really different the motherboard more than likely took a dive, to coin a phrase that someone made it is like trying to to start your car without sparkplugs.

12. holness_202

no that is incorrect. the 20 pin is exactly the same as the 24pin but without the final 4 pins so they are usable (our gaming servers are run this way)(ctu-rugeley)

as it is there was something (dont know what exactly) up with the HD
    i downloaded sea tools for dos (non graphical) and zeroed the disc
    and then was able to install (so i now have a 530 watt psu as an added bonus (£20.75 )

13. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Hey, holness_202, that is GREAT news; glad you got everything taken care of... Errors on HDDs can be difficult to diagnose, because most people think that FDISK and FORMAT will solve all problems, but that is NOT correct. Often, the BEST solution is to zero-fill the disk to clear ALL areas of the HDD, which wipes the sections that FDISK and FORMAT can't access.

GOOD JOB on this repair; you now know more than you did before this happened, and that means you'll be able to help others with similar problems. Best of luck to you; I was positive you'd get this sorted quickly, once you got pointed in the right direction.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice