Solved: XP locks up when writing to an external usb drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

short circuit

I have three different external usb hard drives that I sometimes connect to my pc. All three have their own power supplies. Recently, when trying to write data to any of these drives the pc freezes. No BSOD, no error message. It just freezes with what ever was displayed on the screen. Only way to recover is hit the reboot button on the front of the case. The only big change to my pc recently is install of SP3, but I don't recall if these problems started just before or just after installing SP3. If not related to SP3, any ideas what might cause this problem?:confused:

short circuit

The only major change to my pc recently was installing SP3. So, I uninstalled SP3 and now I'm able to write to all of my external usb drives again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online