1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP machine can't print on networked Vista Machine

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hildjim, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hildjim

Hildjim Thread Starter

I have a new Gateway Vista 64 machine for my office :). The old HP Pavillion Pentium 4 with XP 32(?)is networked in other room Here's my setup:
    Ethernet network with a new wireless Netgear router (yes,it has places to plug in the ethernet cords).
    -HP Laserjet 1200 printer is plugged directly into the Vista 64 machine.
    The XP Unit is on the network.
    I can see and share files between the machines just fine but I get an error when choosing the networked printer in "add printer" when setting up XP unit.
    (Print sharing is turned on on Vista Machine).
    I choose the networked printer found on Gateway, it says that it will install drivers onto my machine to make things work, I click ok and it says that server for my printer has the wrong driver installed, would I like to find right driver? Clk yes. It looks for a VSFILE\XP but can't find it. It tells me to manually find the file but I can't find that file on HP site or any of my discs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled original drivers onto the XP machine (PCL6) and downloaded a Universal PCL5 printer file. None correct the problem. Vista automatically loaded the printer drivers when I turned on the power. It has a PCL5 file. The 1200 printer works fine when printing from Gateway machine. Vista will only let me use the drivers already installed in the machine. When I try to manually try to install drivers downloaded from HP for an XP on the the vista then it balks and says they were not created for an X64 machine. (The download print files from HP only contain an .exe file to unzip the driver files. It does not have a wizard or automatically install the driver). To overshoot this mess, I tried an external print server (Trendnet) but that sometimes chooses not to work unless I unplug and plug the printer back into it. HELP! :(

2. Hildjim

Hildjim Thread Starter

I ended up hiring someone to solve this mess. He just created local ports on each machine that directs the pre-downloaded, local driver, to the printers. Worked just fine. Start, Run, //"name of network" to see if printers can be seen on the network 1st.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice