1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Media Center Reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dani81693, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dani81693

dani81693 Thread Starter

hello! I have windows xp media center edition 2005. I want to totally reinstall windows. Not the system recovery option. The thing is, I have no windows disk, I don't believe it came with one. I have a windows product key sticker on the side of my comp which leads me to believe they didn't provide me with one when I bought it. (Long time ago.) My computer is and HP Pavilion a1512x. Can you PLEASE help me? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time :)

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Phone HP, they may give you a CD for around 20-40 bucks.

3. dani81693

dani81693 Thread Starter

I called HP and they were of no help at all. As a matter of fact it was one of the worst tech support experiences I have EVER had. They said they couldn't supply me with windows xp, that I would have to get a vista or 7 disk and they wanted to charge full price. I still don't think the guy had a clue what he was talking about and wouldn't transfer me to anybody else when I asked. I'm trying to avoid HP at all costs so if anybody knows any other options, send them my way please.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    heres what u will have to do. since u have no disks at all that came with the computer either hp recovery disks or windows xp media center u will have to either borrow or buy a copy of it. btw windows xp meda center is a 2 disk set of cds and is just a fancy version of xp pro with a lot of bells and whistles in it.if u bought the computer brand new it should of come with the proper disks or a recovery partition but thats neither here nor there now.i hope this helps u.

5. dani81693

dani81693 Thread Starter

Thanks for the post. If I borrow a copy of windows xp will i just use the windows serial number that is listed on the sticker on the side of my computer? Also, will i have to do anything before running these disks like removing my current operating system? If I do borrow a copy, will it have to be the media center version of XP? Thanks!

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You can order the recovery CD kit here for the HP Pavilion a1512x. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    if the sticker says xp media center on the computer thats what u will have to borrow or buy.u dont have to do anything before hand to the operating system. with the proper disks u just put them in and follow the directions and it reinstalls whatever system came with the computer to begin with.lets hope u have good luck with getting the disks from hp because dell and lenovo give u a hassle when u want to get restore disks.hope this helps.

8. RonD

RonD

I am having the same problem....I am finding that the operating recovery disc must be burned to a CD . It's the blank CD that came with the computer. I think HP does this for anti piracy purposes. You can burn only one copy!!!
    It places a code on the disc saying it came from that computer!! You can not use it on any other computer!!

9. RonD

RonD

I reformatted my computer with a Gateway XP Home edition.... the authorization code did not work and HP & Microsoft told me I needed to burn a disc when I bought the computer.......well I didn't.
    I am going to try and copy the H drive to the C drive upon start up. I am thinking the XP operating system is stored on that partician... because I never put in an H drive.
    H drive

10. RonD

RonD

When I talked with HP they said they only stock the operating systems back 5 years!! They do not stock the 2005 any more!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!