1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved [Solved] XP not booting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Small20, Jan 18, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Small20

Small20 Guest Thread Starter

I upgraded to XP Pro from ME a week or two ago. At first everything was fine. Then about 6 days ago my brother turns off the computer without shutting down - he just presses the power button. When I try to boot up, it says that my windows\system folder is corrupt. I tried everything, had to reinstall XP. Just now, I had to reboot because some programs were getting unstable (after 5 days of uptime). When I boot back up it tries to pull the ol' scandisk routine. I let it go and when it's done my computer hangs. After about 5 minutes it suddenly reboots. When it comes back it says something about windows not booting correctly last time I started it and lets me choose safe mode, start windows normally, or use last working settings. Both start windows and last working settings do the same as above, and safe mode freezes at the file Mup.sys. The last thing I did before the reboot was send an error report to Microsoft when Windows Explorer had a critial error. Maybe something got messed up there?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. Small20

Erm, the link won't work... but I think I know what you're talking about - the thing that boots you into DOS, right? I can do that, but I have no clue what to do there. I can see my harddrive... I've run chkdsk... no errors.

4. Dan O

Dan O

No, the Recovery Console is more.

The link was for the Microsoft article Q307654, Microsoft have changed things at their site and links don't always work. Go to their site and search the knowledge base using the Q number.

5. Small20

I ended up reinstalling windows on that system, and everythings working fine. Thanks though for the link

6. Dan O

Dan O

oh, thanks for letting us know. I will mark this thread solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice