1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP not shutting down due to lack of ACPI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arcadion, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arcadion

Arcadion Thread Starter

It's not often that I actually ask questions on here, but this one has me stumped.

I've got a customer's computer here that was upgraded to XP Pro (from either Win98 or WinMe), and when you shut down XP it gives you an "it is now safe to turn off your computer" screen instead of turning the machine off. I happen to know this is because XP isn't using an ACPI HAL on this machine, the PC shows up as "Standard PC" instead of "ACPI PC" in Device Manager. The machine is a P3-800EB with an ATX motherboard (Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4x), so it should definitely support ACPI. I've checked in the CMOS setup and enabled ACPI wherever I can see it, and I've tried a repair install of Windows. Does anyone know how to get XP to use an ACPI HAL so this machine will shut down properly?

2. blokey

blokey

Try using Device Manager to update the driver of the "Standard PC" to "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" or "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC".

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The bios is not up to xp acpi standards. You can fix this by installing nt legacy apm support. This is done manually from add new hardware. Note it MAY have been installed during the upgrade, however xp [and win2k] default this to disable.

You can check to see if it was installed by going to device manager and have it show hidden devices. If it is already there, enable it.

4. Arcadion

Arcadion Thread Starter

blokey: Just tried this, it doesn't give you a list of alternatives, Standard PC is the only one.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW have you checked for a bios update? If there is one that addresses acpi issues in xp, that will probably fix it also.

6. pronute

pronute

Try to reinstall XP via the repaired console again, Make sure before you do that ACPI is still enabled, if it's not check the CMOS battery. If that don't work you have to do a fresh install, there is no other way out of it because ACPI has to be enable before you install the OS to take advantage of it.

7. Arcadion

Arcadion Thread Starter

Interesting, just found this BIOS update on Gigabyte's website:

F45:
    Support Windows XP ACPI mode
    Please reinstall Windows XP after update BIOS Ver. F45

I guess that answers my question. Cheers, crjdriver.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do not want to do the clean install, you can install / enable nt legacy apm. Either way [clean install or legacy apm] it will fix the problem.

IMO the clean install is the better way to go, however if the person does not want it, then you have the other option.

9. Arcadion

Arcadion Thread Starter

I eventually got this machine shutting down properly by updating the BIOS and doing a repair install of XP (clean install wasn't necessary).

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it to work.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice