1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP only boots in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sophie16, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sophie16

sophie16 Thread Starter

My older Dell laptop, which I use for personal finances, taxes, etc. has Windows XP, and today when I turned it on, it would only boot up in Safe Mode (or with Networking). After backing up all important data files, I tried system restore. There were 3 dates bolded. I tried one that was before a Java update. It didn't complete the restore process; it said "No changes were made." I tried the earliest date, which was before I installed TurboTax 2010. It wouldn't do that either. Each time, I had to reboot it in SafeMode after my attempts. I thought maybe my C drive was too full, so I compressed/zipped some folders. That freed up some space. I retried the System Restore routine, but it still didn't work.

Service Pack 3 is installed on that laptop. I am posting from my newer laptop, which I use for business.

Any suggestions?

I've seen older posts about this problem, but since they were over a year old, I thought I would post for the latest wisdom from the group.

Thanks in advance.

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

It might be helpful to know what type of refusal you get when trying to boot normally. Do you get an error screen and if so, what does it say? If instead, it reboots automatically before you can read the error, boot to the Advanced Options screen by tapping the F8 key at boot and select the option to turn off automatic restart upon system failure.

3. sophie16

sophie16 Thread Starter

I don't get an error message. The Windows screen looks like it is loading, but it never does, so I have to hard shut it down with the power button. The next time I turn the power on, it says Windows didn't shut down properly, so I select SafeMode.

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Try accessing the Advanced Options screen as I indicated earlier and choosing the option "Last Known Good Configuration." Then reboot and pray. ;)

It sounds like you may have a corrupt video driver. You can check that in Safe Mode under Device Manager. Right click the Monitor listed and select to update the driver. You'll need to be in Safe Mode with network support if you ask it to search the internet for a replacement.

5. GeoLuj

GeoLuj

I have a similar problem and would GREATLY appreciate some help. I tried everything I know and have read. My computer (desktop, XP, SP3, AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Proc, 3800+, 2.01 GHz, 448MB RAM) will not stay on. I can power it on in SafeMode (with or w/o networking) but nothing else, not even Last Known Good Configuration. If I try, it powers ON but before loading windows, it powers OFF. I have tried the following - 1) opening it up and blowing all dust out, 2) System Restore, 3) uninstalling & reinstalling Device Driver (NVIDIA geForce), Error Checking and following all steps for startup initialization files or services problems. None of these have helped. I recently did a spyware scan, a disk scan and a defrag.

PLEASE HELP !!!

6. GeoLuj

GeoLuj

Update: After numerous attempts, I am now able to get into regular mode but it only stays on for 5 minutes. Any explanation for that? It is not overheating. I have the two side panels off, it is dust free and it is cool.

7. sophie16

sophie16 Thread Starter

I tried "Last configuration that worked", but that doesn't work either.

I don't have an external Monitor or driver. This is a laptop, so I am not sure I am following you on the Monitor driver. I just see "Display" in my control panel.

Any other ideas?

8. GeoLuj

GeoLuj

To Mich: Unattach my hard drive? As in unplug it? I could but I don't understand what that would do? Also, I cannot get into my BIOS. If I hit F1 during startup, nothing happens.

Also.......someone said to run Error Checking again so I did but it obviously doesn't start until you reboot but now when I reboot in Safe Mode it freezes at:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers/Mup.sys

Now I'm stuck again. Cannot start in SafeMode or in Regular Mode!!!

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!

9. sophie16

sophie16 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Re: the monitor settings in Control panel. When I ratcheted down the accelerators settings from the maximum to one level below that, I was finally able to reboot in Normal mode. My computer is really slow booting up, but at least it did it!

10. Appmen

Appmen

You may consider to use WET (windows easy transfer) and PickMeApp: two free solutions. WET may transfer your XP settings while portable PickMeApp tool may transfer programs from Windows to Windows. PickMeApp claims to support unlimited number of programs.
    Use WET to copy your account settings and http://www.pickmeapp.com/content/last-chance-safe-your-belongings-pickmeapp-safe-mode to save and transfer/restore your applications.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice