1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP or Vista

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by caraewilton, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caraewilton

caraewilton Thread Starter

Hi. Lookinf for opinions on this one.
    I have just ordered a new Dell Laptop. 1gig ram. 1.83 dual core processor. The laptop packages with both XP proffessional and VISTA. Which is the better option. Are drivers still a major problem with Vista? I have a HP business inkjet 2300. Will this work with Vista? Any opinions are welcome:)

2. zbd21

zbd21

3. SB305

SB305

I agree with zbd21's comments - and I've got a Vista laptop. :eek:

4. line.ex

line.ex

Im assuming its for work. If it was for games i would say go vista for DX10 but because of support, drivers and how straight forward it is go with XP. No reason really not to go with vista but you will be working out a few things before you get going.

5. caraewilton

Yes for work. In addition I am most unimpressed with ms office 2007 which is what I spend most of my time using. After installing it and trying to get to grips with new formats etc, I decided to go back to 2003. On the other hand, I am an I.T. teacher and thus feel it is good to be up to date with the latest. Oh well thanks for your opinions. Will probably stick with XP and upgrade when service pack 1 come out.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go with Vista. It makes XP look ancient. It is stable, safe, and has lots of new features. Why spend money on a used car when you can have a new one? :D

7. raybro

raybro

For what its worth, I just ordered a Dell Insperon 1501 laptop with XP Home. As far as I'm concerned Vista still has to go through the patching process which comes from user feedback to M$ before it becomes even remotely stable. M$ writes the crappiest software around and releases it way before it is even close to efficiant. They did it with Win98 and XP and there is no reason to believe they will do any different with Vista. You will find as many opinions on this as there are people who bother to create a post. Each must make up their own mind.

Additionally, what little use I have experienced with Vista, it's way to "automatic" for my taste. It does stuff before I've told it to and I just don't like that.

Raybro

8. caraewilton

Mmm, I have just got a Dell Latitude which as I said packages with both xp proffessional and vista. I think it is just a very contriversal topic. You either love it or hate. oh well.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Automatic"? Not sure what you mean. It doesn't seem to do anything I don't tell it to do. And it has been stable, compatible, and reliable. I have some 460 programs installed that all work just fine.

10. caraewilton

Elvandil: Silly question, how does MS OFFICE 2003 work on vista?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't have it, but in another thread where some guy was having problems with something, 2 other guys popped in and siad that it worked fine. They had no problems. I'll see if i can find it.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

Elvandil, I hate to disagree with a mod, but I have had way too many problems with Vista. Went back to XP (and, dual boot on one PC with Linux). But it is funny, my son was working for MS as Vista tech support and he loves it - but he also knew a lot of tricks for getting around some of what I found to be the biggest hassles, such as driver support (admittedly, this is better now than when I first evaluated Vista) and UAC.
    Since you are thinking of getting it for work, however, that might cause me to think differently (although I didn't do so recently). Read this for some good info:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2065192,00.asp
    Vitally important is to know what "flavor" of Vista you will get - frankly, if you get it, don't get anything but Ultimate

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Disagree all you want. You aren't alone.

But the move to Vista is one of those inevitabilities of life. It will happen. So being dragged into the future kicking and screaming is unbecoming.

Yes, some people are experiencing some problems. That always happens, and if my memory is correct, it seems like they are far fewer than when XP came out (but then people were moving into a whole, new family).

The service pack 1 will undoubtedly solve many issues of compatibility and user-friendliness, but already the sale of Vista has outstripped projections by 27%. People don't want to wait until XP support almost runs out and then switch to an OS whose life-cycle is almost at an end, too :D.

15. slurpee55

slurpee55

Actually, you are right about the kicking and screaming...but I am so old I don't care. ;)
    For seriously thinking of buying a computer for work, be sure that you evaluate what software you will run the most on it (e.g., if it is Office and not much else you will use, then you are safe; at my work we use a rather fussy software for managing data for survey research that tends to be slow to get updated) and what else most of the people you work with are using - if you are working with a bunch of people still using 98 or Macs or..., well, avoid Vista. If the office in general stays up-to-date, go with it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice