Solved: XP PC's won't talk to Vista PC on Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

klingenfelter

I have 3 PC's on a network. One desktop, one Home Theater PC and a Laptop. The laptop runs Vista and the other two run XP, all fully up to date. All three PC's see each other on the network. The laptop can access all shared folders on the other PC's. However, one desktop won't allow access to the Vista Laptop shared folders (I get the access denied see your administrator message) and the other keeps asking for a password before I can get to the shared folders on the Vista Laptop. There is no password or user name so I can't get to the shared folders on the laptop. All three have the same user name (me). All three have the quest account turned off. All three have no password at login.

I'm the only user. Can anyone help. I'm at a loss to fix this.

Keith Lingenfelter

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suggest assigning passwords, you can use automatic login if you don't want to keep typing them. The default configuration for Vista is not to network if there is no password. Of course, you can also turn on the guest account. :)

klingenfelter

Yes I put a passowrd into my Vista account. I'm the only user on all these PC's, minor inconenience. The other PC's asked me for the user name and password once the first time I tried accessing a network file. After that it let me always, Even after a reboot. Simple but obscure

Thanks Johnwill

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can create a user account on the Vista machine with the same name/password as is used by the connecting workstation to login, and then you won't get the password prompts.

klingenfelter

Yes that's what I did. When I log onto the Vista Laptop I enter a password with my user name. The first time I tried to access shared files on the laptop from the XP machines, I was asked for this user name and password. But that was the last time. Even after a reboot on any of the machines as long as I load a password with my user name at logon to the Vista laptop machine the network is now fully accessible from all machines in all directions. All machines use the same user name, my name. The XP machines though are configured without passwords. The need to add a password at logon to the vista laptop is not to inconvenient. The other XP machines have no password at all they just boot to my account.

Again Thanks JohnWill

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Put a password on the XP accounts. You can still automatically login to them.

Start, Run, control userpasswords2, and configure them to automatically login to the account desired.

With the same user name/password on the XP machines as the Vista, the password prompts will be gone. BTW, you can also automatically login to the Vista machine using the same technique.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No problem. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online