1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Pro files defy deletion/uninstallation....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by webzter, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi;
    Am attempting to delete three old zip/unzip driver folders so I can install updated versions of the drivers, but every time I go to delete, a warning pops-up stating ...."nothing to do"......,
    then it slowly (crawls, actually) begins, stating..... "deleting from archive". The files are full, so there's obvious data that needs to be removed despite the warning that there's nothing to do.
    At the speed this thing is deleting, if at all, it will take days. My question is, why can't I do a
    conventional uninstall/deletion the way most files are deleted, and why is it requiring so much time? (FYI, once this process starts, the only way to stop it is to do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE- just canceling doesn't do a thing), I have to remove thes drivers before installing the new versions. Is there another method of removing these files that I'm missing? I'd genuinely appreciate any and all suggestions-
    Many thanks in advance
    Webz

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil, appreciate the reply. Have just been trying to read-up on archieved zip files and wasnt aware that a special app would be required- I had just come accross "Move On Boot" when I received your reply. You mention ...."DELETE ON BOOT"....would you please clarify? Or, do you mean do the install of one of the programs, perform the action then
    the reboot will remove the files? Thanks!

4. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

Some (maybe all) of those applications have a 'delete on boot' option. Choose the file, specify delete on boot, and reboot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice