1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] XP Pro Freezing randomly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sharpshoota, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharpshoota

sharpshoota Thread Starter

I just recently built a new computer and everything works great, except it freezes just out of the blue it seems like. it doesnt matter what im doin, playing counter strike, talkin on aim, listening to music, or just leaveing the computer on with only the desktop. When it freezes i can't ctrl+alt+delete or move the mouse. The only way to do anythign is to reset or turn off the computer. I do know when it's going to freeze though, because just seconds before it happens, i hear a click in the computer, and then it seems like the fans in the computer die down for a second and then they rev back up, then it just sounds like its running like normal again. The hard drive light blinks off and on while all this is happening too. When i restart the computer it runs just fine, I can do anything, theres no slow down in performance, it runs perfect, up untill the next time it freezes. Another thing i noticed about the freezing, it wont happen like right away after i boot up ever, it always seems to freeze after the computer has been on for about 3 or 4 hours. But it has been on for like 8 hours at a time when nothing went wrong. i havnet read about anybody else with my problem, any help would be greatly appreciated cuz this freezing thing is pissin me off. Here are my specs:

P4 2.4ghz
    Asus p4pe dlx mobo
    WD 80gb special edition hard drive
    kingston pc2700 512mb ram
    Lite-on 48x24x48 cd/rw
    Lite-on LTD-166S16X DVD ROM
    A Drive - SAMSUNG 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE
    SPARKLE 350 WATTS ATX UL APPROVED POWER SUP
    Chaintech GX21 nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP 8X 128MB Vid Card
    Case - AHANIX Platinum XP (INDIGLO LCD Light display) 9-bay **Adjustable 2 Speed Fan**
    WinXP pro
    I dunno what else to say, if u need anymore info ill respond quickly

2. StriderS

StriderS

Just a guess but it may be overheating, you might want to monitor the temp

3. sharpshoota

i dont think its the temperature, my case temp is 23.4ºC and the processor is like 36ºC. Is that too high? i dunno whats normal, any other suggestions on how to fix the problem? like is it software related or hardware, thanks

4. indylift

indylift

It is software related. And if you figure it out I would be happy to know what it is. Seems as tho there are several cases of XP Pro doing this on all differant machine configurations. No solution as of yet, just alot of trial and error. I've had Microsoft and a dozen or so other people workin on it for 3 months now. Honestly I don't think it gonna get fixed. I'm about to junk XP and go back to ME. Had no problems other than the typical Windows hangs..Hmmm maybe Linux is about to get a try..Good luck:confused:

5. Dan O

Dan O

It could be a lot of different problems or a combination of them.

First make sure you have the latest XP updates installed, such as SP1.

Updated BIOS is the next important item, so check the Website of your motherboard for updates. Check the System Event for ACPI errors, which means you need the update.

If they don't do the trick follow what is outlined in this MS article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316434

Good luck.

6. boyoh53

boyoh53

I'm running XP Home since 1st August and it freezed to-night for the first time. Ctrl+Alt+Delete wouldn't work. The cursor stopped and started moving. I tried all I knew but nothing would help.
    I had to switch off at the wall. When I switched on again all was back to normal.
    Some of the clicks I was able to make worked maybe 2 minutes later. I just hope this is an isolated incident and not a pattern of things to come. I have SP1 and all patches installed.
    Mine is 256 RAM and 40GB hard drive. :( :eek: :(

7. boyoh53

boyoh53

Hello again, I had 6 drivers not digitally signed;
    asctrm.sys
    bantext.sys
    navap.sys
    symevent
    symredir.cat
    symredir.inf

I have a feeling Norton had a play in this. The log-file from Norton
    Anti-Virus is cleaned. :(

8. Dan O

Dan O

Yes it can, virus scanning software is needed but it does act up sometimes, which is not the fault of the OS.

9. sharpshoota

I finally fixed it, all i did was reinstall windows XP pro and it hasnt locked up since. Thanks for tryin to help me everybody, peace.

10. Dan O

Dan O

That's great news. I will mark this thread solved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice