1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Pro Home Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rynoman27, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rynoman27

Rynoman27 Thread Starter

Ok, i have searched through the forums trying to solve this problem but what has solved other peoples problems did not solve mine. So here it is.
    I just built a desktop PC and i have a laptop also. They are both in my room, both wired through a netgear router and both are running XP professional SP2 with all updates.

Now, heres the trouble.
    I setup a home network so that i can get some files off my laptop onto my desktop. I can see both computers in the workgroup. My laptop can access my desktop and cruise through the folders that i have shared. But when i want to access my laptop from my desktop is gives me
    \\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission, contact admin.
    Access is denied.

What am i doing wrong?
    My only guess that i can possibly have right now is that something is screwy with my laptops Windows Firewall because when I access windows firewall from control panel, on the General Tab everything is grayed out, but the option for Off is still checked.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Make sure that Simple Sharing is enabled. Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, and the last item in the list is Simple Sharing, enable that.

Next, create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
    ------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

3. Rynoman27

Rynoman27 Thread Starter

Which computer do i do this on? Both? Laptop? Desktop?
    After i do it then it will work?

4. JohnWill

Well, I don't know for "sure", but it's one of the things that would cause the symptoms you are seeing. It won't hurt anything, and I'd do it on both machines.

5. Rynoman27

Rynoman27 Thread Starter

Wow. It worked. Thanks a lot.

6. JohnWill

You seem surprised. ;) Thanks for the feedback.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

7. Rynoman27

Rynoman27 Thread Starter

Not suprised as in you dont know what your doing, just suprised that you knew exactly what i needed. Ill definitly be coming here for help whenever i need it.

8. JohnWill

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice