Solved: Xp pro keeps rebooting at logo screen?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golf-buddy

:confused: Hi to all that can help me. I have been running a P4 3.2ghz computer that I have built for some time now. The problem is that my son kept pushing the power button when I was at work. Now the computer reboots when it hits the windows logo screen. I've tried to boot in safe mode but it stops loading files then reboots. I've also tried last good know configuration. I can't even get into safe mode command prompt. I've tried using the recovery console and typing in chkdsk and fixboot but that does not help. I also don't see an option for the repair xp. Any help would save my life since my wifes files are on the harddrive which she needs. Thanks.

Could be he broke the power switch and it shuts off right when you get to that point. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. Unfortunatly it sounds serious, could be hard to recover files, good luck.

Make sure the reset button isn't stuck. Some times the most obvious things are the one's we miss.

golf-buddy

I've checked the power button and the reset button and they both work. I thought about the corrupted registry fix but I don't know if that will cause more damage.

I'm having a problem almost exactly like that except that computer does not restart is just gets stuck. I can enter safe mode or any other. I've tried system recovery but that just quits also. I've talked to a technician and he said it is a memory problem. He said either they are going bad or the motherboard is or they may just need to be cleaned. I've been trying to get a fix on this problem for a couple days and still no solution.

golf-buddy

Well I've been looking up everything I could think of. I'm going to try with a xp boot disk I got from www.bootdisk.com. If this doesn't work I'm thinking of taking it to a shop. Maybe they could do something I couldn't. I'll post what happens. :(

golf-buddy

I'll still take advice if anyone has it. I don't feel like paying $80 an hour for something that I could do. Anyone?

Here's the sequence I suggest - You've done some of it....... Try the whole thing before you give up.

Boot to windows CD by pressing F8 during POST for boot menue
Select boot from CD (this installs windows drivers and will take a while)
When you finally get a Repair Disk? prompt Select R for repair
Select 1 (Windows XP =1)
Password will be requested -- if none - - (enter)
At C:\windows prompt type CHKDSK(SPACE)/R (enter)
this will check for and repair errors
Next type exit (enter) for a restart (CD still in the drive)
Next - select install windows ------
You should be prompted a second time with the same choice install or repair
This time select repair ..... R

follow exactly as shown and you may just save yourself a bundle. Good luck!

golf-buddy

Ok this is what I have done.
Booted using XP cd.
Went to recovery console.
Typed chkdsk /r at c:/windows
Exited (with cd in drive)

Booted again using XP cd.
Went to install XP.
Pressed F8 to agree to terms.

Did not see Repair option. Only set up XP, Create Partition, and Delete. When I tried to set up XP it said it can't because set up files exist.

I'm I doing something wrong. I do have a valid XP Pro cd version 2002.

golf-buddy

I've already tried that. I had got some info on trying fixboot /mbr so I tried that. Now guess what. I get a "Autochk.exe could not be found. skipping autocheck" error. I losing hope quickly. Any Ideas?

golf-buddy

I've exhausted all my resources and decided that I will be taking it in to a shop. Thanks to all that helped me try to figure this out. Really appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online