1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: xp pro partition will not delete

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wuanbonebilly1, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wuanbonebilly1

wuanbonebilly1 Thread Starter

i hvae a ten yr old compaq...and it is full of backdoor virus...es..dont worry bout that..here is my problem i have tried to do a clean install without formatting the disk...found out it wont erase the old files...which i dont want anyway...so dont go there I DO NOT want the files...period...i want a empty disk...so i went online found out how to do it thru disk management ..i saw the partition i want to delete...but when u right click on it ...everything is black except 2 things format and delete....my question is this i got a 18 GB disk..with 8 GB of room now..when i did the clean install i had 2 GB i have been using unlocker as a deleter going to documents and setting and unlocking the files..from the disk..this is way too slow ....somebody tell me how to delete the partition so i can do a clean install....if u need information bout the pc ...ask...and yes i am wuanbonebilly..i forgot my password

2. aks88

aks88

Try using a bootable disk. You can delete all the required partitions and then create fresh partitions using bootable disk.

3. wuanbonebilly1

ok how do i do it..im not pc literate....

4. wuanbonebilly1

is there any other way

5. aks88

aks88

It is very easy to use the bootable disk

Put the XP CD in the drive and restart your system.
    You will see a message saying "Press Any key to boot from CD..."
    Press any key
    wait till the system boots from from the CD.

Follow the onscreen instructions. If you have any doubt let me know.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is a good instructional and pictorial guide for doing a hard drive format and clean install of Windows XP Pro.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What's the model name and model number of that Compaq desktop? If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number on the sticker is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. wuanbonebilly1

compaq serial number.......W121DYSZC271.....PRODUCT NUMBER... 07301-OEM-0Q03452-22149...MODEL NUMBER...???????????

8. wuanbonebilly1

cant find model number and numbers on back r too small to read

9. wuanbonebilly1

that is the problem it wont do as you ask..there is only 1 partition on here ..when u put the disk in it tells u everything u need to do..but it doesnt do it..it puts it right back on the same partition...when i tells u to use the arrors to pick a partition there is none to pick but the one that is there...when it tells u to pick c..it dont work..when it tells u to pick d it dont work...so this is not going to work ive tried so many times i dream about it in my sleep...reason for the question i submitted...../i want to get rid of what i got and start anew without a headache

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There has to be a product number or service tag number on the sticker.

The model name and number isn't embossed on the case?

----------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of disk are you using?

Is it an actual Windows XP CD or is it a system recovery CD?

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. wuanbonebilly1

installation disk....and ill look for the model number aagain

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What does it say on the disk label?

"Installation disk" doesn't tell me if it's a Windows XP CD or if it's a system recovery CD.

If it's a Windows XP CD, you should be able to boot from it, as aks88 advised.

If I had the full description of that Compaq, I could access its support site and obtain more information and possibly locate a recovery CD kit for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

13. gfne

gfne

14. wuanbonebilly1

couldn't read the numbers...i said forget the disk..it wouldn't work....so to let u know what i did here ....it was simple...after i did it...i went online and got a free copy of unlocker...then went to documents and settings and erased every profile left unerased by the installation..it took a long time because it was three profiles left behind...after this was done i had...11GB of free space...i then went and downloaded CCcleaner and wiped the disk...it wouldn't let me completely wipe so i did it to free up space..i wiped 3 times...true it didn't give me anymore space but it completely erased everything it wiped...so now i'm good..got enough space and im happy...just wanted to let u know

15. gfne

gfne

Very nice. Merry Christmas/happy hanukah

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!