1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: xp pro search

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lilbow, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lilbow

Lilbow Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro when I do a search for a file on my computer search never ends. Search will find the file over and over again. It does reach a point that it gives the number of times the file is found where it should stop, but then it searches over again finding the same files over and over again. So if anyone has any Idea of what could be done to fix this I would jump up and down for joy. I have also reinstalled windows and this did not fix it.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Does it actually stop first before rescanning?

3. Lilbow

Lilbow Thread Starter

No it never stops it just flashes by like it is still searching.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That is a new one. I guess it depends on how much you have on your system. I know it keeps an eye on the drives to see if there is a new file made within your search parameters but I will look into it.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Is drive indexing enabled? Perhaps it thinks it is, when there is no index. That would cause it to search an empty index. check services.msc and see if the indexing service is running.

6. Lilbow

Lilbow Thread Starter

I started the indexing service, no change it still runs untill you stop it finding the same file over and over it found the file I am using for a test 8 times before I stoped it 4 of the 8 were in the same location.

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Hmm... i cant seem to find anything simmilar. Is it possible to use somthing third party here? Just for now at least?

8. Lilbow

Lilbow Thread Starter

I was thinking that there my be a reg. problem something is missing telling search when to stop.... any ideas? Third party is ok but windows search should work.

9. Lilbow

Lilbow Thread Starter

Will it was a reg. problem. Trying to fix the problem I crashed my system, I mean blue screen of death and no way around it. I reformatted my HD and reinstalled windows xp the problem is now gone, always backup and backup...... get my point.

10. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle

Download Regseeker and run it. Se if that solves your problem. It's most likeley a problem with the registry and thsi will scan it and clean it for you :)

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Well... i guess that one way to solve it. :)
    Too bad you had to go to the extreme.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice