1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Pro Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NIMROD64, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NIMROD64

NIMROD64 Thread Starter

Recently replaced my old crashed XP Pro OS with another XP Pro OS. Now I can't put my Dell laptop to sleep as this feature does not come up when I try to shut down computer. Can't find it anywhere. Can someone help? Thanks.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

IN XP STANDBY IS the equivalent of sleep.

If you go Control Panel Power Options, there you will see the tab Hibernate.
    If Enable Hibernation is not checked - then the mode will not be available when you go to Start and Turn Off - when it is there is the extra option on the Standby button.

Also in Power options you set you requirements for the modes, selecting the power scheme appropriate to your computer eg. Desktop, Laptop etc.

However if you are talking about the actual option Sleep showing, then SLEEP on a Dell is a feature of the Dell installation and if you have a fresh install of Windows XP, that will now not be available.
    That said of course SLEEP which is shown as an option on Vista and 7 is in effect the Standby mode on XP
    As per This Site :

Standby Mode
    Standby mode conserves power by turning off the display and the hard drive after a predetermined period of inactivity (a time-out). When the computer exits standby mode, it returns to the same operating state it was in before entering standby mode.

Hibernate Mode
    Hibernate mode conserves power by copying system data to a reserved area on the hard drive and then completely turning off the computer. When the computer exits hibernate mode, it returns to the same operating state it was in before entering hibernate mode.

SLEEP MODE
    An energy-saving mode of operation in which all unnecessary components are shut down. Many battery-operated devices, such as notebook computers, support a sleep mode. When a notebook computer goes into sleep mode, it shuts down the display screen and disk drive. Once awakened, the computer returns to its former operating status.

Notice the difference between the Standby Mode which does not copy data to the HDD and the Hibernate mode which does.

AND an explanation from Vista O/S - I realise yours is XP but it explains sleep mode and what I said earlier in this post about sleep mode
    What happened to standby and hibernate?

In earlier versions of Windows, standby saves your work to memory and puts your mobile PC into a power-saving state. Hibernate also puts your mobile PC into a power-saving state but saves your work to your hard disk so that you can safely turn off your mobile PC. This version of Windows combines standby and hibernate into a single power-saving state called sleep.
    Note

Putting your mobile PC to sleep offers the following advantages over shutting it down:

• All of your work, including information about the programs that you were using, such as window location and size, is automatically saved to your hard disk.
    • When your mobile PC wakes, Windows restores your previous work session within seconds. You don't need to restart your mobile PC, and then open the files that you were working on.
    Sleep is typically the best power-saving state to leave your mobile PC in when you're not using it. Shut down your mobile PC or put it into hibernation only when you must turn off the power (for example, when you want to add memory or you don’t plan to use the computer for several days).
    To put your mobile PC to sleep, click the Power button on the Start menu. To wake your mobile PC, press the hardware power button.
    END OF EXPLANATION FROM VISTA

However further information would of course be dependent on the model of Dell the details for which you can find here, if you do not have the user manual - for the Dell Latitude D520
    http://support.dell.com/

3. cci704

cci704

A great and thorough answer Macboatmaster.

4. Macboatmaster

Thanks.
    Hope it helps NIMROD64

5. NIMROD64

NIMROD64 Thread Starter

Thanks Macboatmaster for your timely and comprehensive reply. I did enable "hibernate" in the power
    option, however, although the desktop disappears after the checked off time, it seems that the hard
    drive is still running. And please explain why the sleep option is longer available with a new install? Prior
    to the new install, the whole laptop would shut down when not used, and the last window I was working
    on would reappear when I touched the start button the my Dell laptop. IOW, I didn't have to reboot.
    This was a great feature. Can't understand why it's not available with the new install, and why I can't
    get the hibernate to work.

Thanks again,

Leslegr

6. Macboatmaster

1. What settings have you enabled in Power options for turn off hard drive.
    That could be the answer to HDD still running
    There may be other reasons.

2. Have you downloaded SP3 and all updates.

3. The original XP installation on that laptop was either pre-installed with a Dell recovery partition OR came with a Dell (XP) installation CD. The Dell CD installs options NOT available on the Microsoft XP CD.
    Which have you used NOW to reinstall XP.
    The actual option SLEEP mode, was not available on Microsoft XP, as against many laptop OEM installations, as I explained in my original post.
    When you have checked the power settings and confirm the installation you NOW have compared with what you did have I will reply with why hibernate may not be working as you expect, if the following does not assist.
    NOTE please that STANDBY is effectively sleep mode

When you are in power options look at the advanced tab.
    The options there when you have enabled hibernation include what you want to happen - when for instance you press the power switch or if that laptop has a sleep button - that.

If in XP you click start and then click shutdown, having enabled hibernation, when you then have the Standby, Shutdown or cancel, if you hold the shift key down, standby will change to hibernation.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is possible that not all your drivers are installed. Do you have any problem/non-working devices in Device Manager, or any under "Other"?

8. NIMROD64

NIMROD64 Thread Starter

It's set to turn off monitor after 15 min; turn off hard disks after 30 mins;sysytem standby after 15 mins; system hibernates after 1 hour. I assume service pack 3 was loaded with new os. It's indicated in System Properties. The reinstallation CD's were from Dell, but they were not the originals. I have not tried the standby mode but I will do that now when I'm finished with reply.. Under the old os the laptop went to sleep after an hour or so without my doing anything. Elandil, I'm not that familiar with the location of the "device manager".
    Where do I find that? Sorry, but I'm still not that competent with computers.

9. Macboatmaster

Start, right click My Computer, click properties, click hardware tab, click device manager button

10. NIMROD64

NIMROD64 Thread Starter

Thanks Macboatmaster and others for your help. I now understand how sleep and hibernate modes work
    and have it set up. Appreciate your help.:):)

11. Macboatmaster

Thank you for replying please mark your thread Solved. Use the button on your first post.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice