1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Pro SP2 installation question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karbo, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karbo

karbo Banned Thread Starter

Hi,

I tried to install XP Pro SP2 on my laptop and somehow my product key was no good. I first reformated my hard drive and Windows installation begun but I had to get out since the product key was invalid.

I finally noticed I had the wrong disk. When I finally found the right disk with the right key, the old installation kept on coming back where I left it. How can I start all over again, with the reformating and reinstallation from scratch? I really don't know how to do this. Is there a special command at reboot? Do I have to put the CD in or not? I'm not sure anymore since it's been years since I've tried this.

Thank you for your help.

2. karbo

I'm trying to quit properly by entering the CD with the bad product key but there's no option to cancel. I'm stuck at the product key prompt! What do I do now to reset everything?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Start over . . boot from the Install CD, delete the partition you installed the wrong version on and then create it again . . proceed to installing

4. karbo

Even if I boot from the CD, it returns immediately to where I was in the installation. It won't start over again. I'm really stuck! And it does it even with the other CD, the good one!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use fdisk from a boot Win98 floppy or a partitioning tool (bootable) and remove the partition if it is being stubborn.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    SystemRescueCD
    Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic
    Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
    Free Paragon Hard Drive Manager 8.0 Special Edition (Make recovery CD for offline partitioning or defrag.)
    XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
    Partition Logic
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager
    Terabyte BootIt NG
    Acronis Disk Director
    V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
    EASEUS Partition Manager
    7Tools Partition Manager
    Spotmau Partition Genius

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

That is a good way, . . also check that you have the BIOS to boot first from CD . . You may not be reacting quickly enough to the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

8. karbo

Why a Windows 98 CD?

9. me4net

me4net

it has the fdisk util. i would check the cd, if it does not boot with the 2nd disk try runing the first and swaping the cds at the licence agreement screen.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's not a Win98 CD, but just a CD with the same contents as the Win98 recovery floppy.

11. karbo

What about Boot and Nuke? Would it be even simpler?

12. karbo

Would it do the same thing?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, not any simpler, really. You'd need to add it to a boot disk. All you need to do for the 98 method is to download the Win98 Boot Floppy and run it to make the bootable floppy.

14. me4net

me4net

Actuly this is correct.

15. karbo

I don't have a floppy disk. I would need to burn it on a CD.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice