1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Pro SP3 doesn’t recognize my USB ports as USB2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohnnyB58, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnnyB58

JohnnyB58 Thread Starter

I was having a lot of troubles with XP PRO after a CPU failure, when I tried to do an XP installation Repair. It failed miserably and after a month of posting and searching for answers, I threw in the towel.
    I reformatted the HD and did a clean install. On the advice of a MS Tech, I downloaded SP3 and installed it first thing. After I got everything up and running with all the updates, I discovered that XP no longer recognizes my USB ports as USB2. I found some original drivers on the Motherboard installation disk, but it will not allow me to install them because my XP SP2 install disk is already supposed to have them. :confused:
    I tried removing all the USB drivers and forcing XP to figure it out, but no luck. It is an ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe with a P4 processer and an XP PRO SP3 Operating System. It was working fine for at least 2 years.
    Anybody know how I can fix this? :(

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

my 2 cents: slipstream SP3 into your installation CD and start over.

3. JohnnyB58

JohnnyB58 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I’ve reinstalled windows on this computer about 10 times and I’m running out of Patience. I’m looking for a quick fix, anything other than throwing it out the window.

4. JohnnyB58

JohnnyB58 Thread Starter

OK, now I really feel stupid. :eek: I decided to check my BIOS and sure enough the USB2 was disabled. It must have happened when I cleared the BIOS in the very beginning of my troubles to clear up another problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/743106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice