1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Pro SP3 - wont accept any new password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by akm-bl, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akm-bl

akm-bl Thread Starter

Hello,

this has been driving me bonkers for the last few days, I check forums and websites but have not found any answers. I have a laptop with XP Pro on which I regularly update my password, the ctlr+alt+del > change password way.

When I tried this ealier last week I got a message saying (translating from Dutch to English): my password must be 0 characters, cannot repeat any of my 0 passwords, must be at least 0 days old.

This is totally new to me, I changed the password before without issues, so my search on the web lead me to gpedit.msc, where I select windows settings, security settings, account policy. There are several entries here and they show (again translated from Dutch to English):

maximum password time: 0
    min password time: 0
    min password length: 0
    remember old passwords: 0
    complexity: disabled
    something about coding: disabled

so as far as I can tell there is not password policy however when I change my password there seems to be. I have played with this a bit and set complixty to enabled, min length to 6 and tried to change it to AbCd12! which should work as its >6 long, uses caps, lowercase and numbers, but again the same message, so I set it back to how it was, 0's and disabled.

I also tried net user <username> <newpassword> but getting the same message
    the account has admin rights but I logged in as admin and tried to change the password that way for the specific account but again the same message

So right now I am totally lost, somewhere it seems XP thinks I have some rules for password but I don't as far as I can tell.

Thank you for any answers.

Axel

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am not certain I am on the right line here.
    Firstly, gpedit is GROUP policy Edit and has no connection DIRECTLY with the normal user/admin/guest password.
    Retunring to the cmd "net user akm-bl" - realising of course it is not that. This should provide as in my screenshot

To save me a lot of typing if you instruct the cmd
    Type 'net user /HELP' for more info.
    You will then see what each command is and what is achieved.

However I would recommend you type
    "control userpasswords2" - start, run .
    as if I am correct you will find what you want there.
    On the advanced tab click the advanced button on Advanced user management and explore there in Local users and groups.

Attached Files:

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

4. akm-bl

akm-bl Thread Starter

Hello Macboatmaster,

thanks for the reply you posted, it was not a direct answer but in the end helped me solve the issues.

I followed your direction to control userpasswords2, advanced, advanded user management, where I got users and groups. The user account in question has a checkbox password never expires, the option user can not not change password is not checked, he is a member of administrators and no profiles set.

Groups has nothing of intetrest, shows again the account is membmer of administrators but nothing you can set there except add/remove members.

Your net user info helped me in the end though, as net user <username> showed me the last time I changed my password which was 6-dec-10, so I went into add/remove software and removed all the MS security patches that have been installed since that date, rebooted and I could change my password again. I then went to update page and reinstalled them again, rebooted and still can change my password.

The patches in question are KB2419632, KB2416400, KB2436673, KB2443105, KB2443685, KB2440591, KB2467659, KB2296199, KB2423089 in case someone runs into the same issue.

Thanks again for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice