1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: xp pro upgrade from xp home - stuck halfway

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gooner10, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

Hi
    I am upgrading my fujitsu siemens pc from xp home to xp pro,I am at the section where it is isntalling the devices and have got a grey screen up saying "that the software I am installing for this hardware : Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB universal host controller has not passed the windows logo testing etc"
    Trouble is it won't let me click yes or no, it is just frozen in that position and the only way out is turn off the pc, but when I turn it back on it boots up and tries to carry on the setup but reaches the same point and freezes!!!

any ideas or have I got to just reformat and start again?

cheers
    Gooner:confused:

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

The install disk for upgrading to Windows XP Pro is it a legal disk?

Is it an upgrade disk or a full install disk?

Is the disk scratched or damaged in some way?

3. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

yes it's legal and a full copy, not an upgrade disk.
    the disk looks fine no dirt or scratches

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do you have all of the important data on the hard drive backed up to another media like CD-R's, DVD or thumb drive?

Is this computer a desktop or laptop?

5. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

I have most of the data, but did what I am always telling everybody else not to do, I didn't run my back up job before starting the install (d'oh)
    The pc is a desktop

6. bbearren

bbearren

There is one and only one difference between a retail Windows XP Full Installation disk and a retail Windows XP Upgrade Installation disk; The Upgrade disk has a hook in the install routine that verifies possession of a previous version of Windows before it will continue.

That "previous version" can be installed on the PC, or it can be in the form of an installation CD of a previous version of Windows.

Check this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293765/en-us

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try bbearren's link to get this going it seems that Microsoft might have something going here.

8. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

looked at the link, still got no joy, am going to give in and do a clean install.

that will teach me to back things up

9. bbearren

bbearren

That link requires that you make a modified installation disk. You have to copy the contents of your disk to the hard drive, edit the files mentioned, then re-burn the disk.

Befiore you do a clean install, try doing a repair/reinstall instead. It accepts drivers that are already loaded. A repair/reinstall of Pro over Home should work after Service Pak 2, although I must admit that I haven't tried it.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

You might try disabeling the USB controllers in BIOS ( if it will let you ) and then try the upgrade again

11. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

I am trying to do the repair/reinstall as suggested, I've selected the winows installation as it requests and it is now showing the following
    C:\windows>

what now?

12. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

can't disable the usb, unfortunately that is the only conectors for the keyboard and mouse

13. bbearren

bbearren

Type R and hit Enter

14. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

cheers

15. gooner10

gooner10 Thread Starter

It is saying that the command 'R' is not recognised.
    I don't think I very clear earlier I am now in the recovery console and selected my installation, have entered my admin password and it is now showing c:\windows>

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!