1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP problem using Recovery Console...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cuda_tim, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuda_tim

cuda_tim Thread Starter

Hi Guys (& gals)!

I tried to remove a virus several days ago and I messed up my registery. (I made a backup, but don't get me started on that issue).

I rebooted, and instead of coming up directly to my desktop, it came up with the log-in screen for the Administrator and me. I selected me, and it came up in safe-mode with the cmd shell.

Ok, this is important... I went into msconfig, and safe-mode was NOT selected.

So thinking that I needed to do a repair, I inserted my original XP disc and booted into the recovery console. First, I did the normal stuff, like chkdsk and so forth. I also looked at my boot.ini. Everything appeared normal.

So I rebooted, same problem.

Went back into the recovery console and did a repair. Everything went along smoothly and guess what! After the first reboot, it gave me the infamous "You are in Safe Mode... you can't do what you are doing in safe mode... you are a bad person and you need to be punished". (Obviously, I'm paraphrasing here).

And I'm in the endless reboot cycle.

So, I've tried everything (almost) and I would prefer not to do a full re-install. I tried using bootcfg, but this didn't help any since it doesn't say "safe-mode". (Although I did go through the motions). I also deleted my boot.ini and it gave me an error message (no boot.ini, or whatever), and still got stuck in the endless reboot cycle.

I also did a fixboot, which didn't help either. And I attempted to do a fixmbr, but I got scared from the "if you do this you are really screwed" message, and didn't proceed.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks!!

Tim...

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Otherwise I would back up your data and do a clean install.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

3. cuda_tim

cuda_tim Thread Starter

Thanks, Mumbodog...

I'll probably try the second procedure tonight and post my results!

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

The first method is harder, but gives you more control on which restore point to use.

That is the hard part, using a restore point before the registry damage/infection occurred.

Also remember this could restore the virus.

5. cuda_tim

cuda_tim Thread Starter

Ok, so would you recommend that I get the Registry back to normal (to eliminate being stuck in safe mode) and then still proceed with the Recovery? Or will I not have any choice?

6. cuda_tim

cuda_tim Thread Starter

Again thanks, Mumbodog!

I was able to solve my problem by using the non-OEM procedure that you provided. At least, I started with the non-OEM, but then I did end up having to copy all five (5) sections back to c:\windows\system32\config, in order to solve my problem.

The sections were:

Software
    System
    Sam
    Security

This got me back to the point before the Registry was corrupted and before I started the Recovery Console "repair" procedure.

The only new problem that revealed itself (after I was able to boot properly) was an error when launching IE Version 8.

I ended up having to remove it and re-install it.

Thanks, again! :D

Tim...

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Glad you got it going, you can mark this thread "Solved" by using the solved button above your first post.

Welcome to TSG forums.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice