1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP reinstall after mobo change

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by infojunky50, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infojunky50

infojunky50 Thread Starter

I replaced the motherboard, power supply and RAM in a computer. (Power surge fried it)THe processor was ok and is on the new mobo.I have all the stuff off the harddrive after slaving it to another computer. It came with only the recovery discs, not a WinXP cd. It reloaded ok but Windows won't start. Will a reapir with an XP cd do the trick and will I have to beg MS for activation because of the mobo change? I hate to spend $130 for another copy of XP if I don't have to.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Usually replacing a motherboard will make the XP Activation occur again. If the computer used Recovery disks usually also, they will not work when you change the hardware that much. Only using the exact same motherboard, and often it must come from the same manufacturer, like HP, Compaq etc will allow you to reinstall WITH ACTIVATION. Most likely, you used the Product Key from the side of the computer case, so it was accepted but you could not be activated. For some OEMs, like my own HP computer, you do not get asked for the Product Key at all when you reinstall from the original Recovery CDs, but the Activation part does happen.

If the problem is not this above, it is because of drivers that installed that are not correct for the new motherboard, or a conflict that happened if you installed drivers for the new board on top of what was on before.
    Video drivers are one thing that can cause the blank screen.

Could be you added a new video card, but the system wants to use the onboard video chip....

Did you do a clean install, that is, delete the partition for Drive C: and create a new one and then install a new copy of XP?

What happened when the XP Activation part came up, did it actually tell you it was not accepting the Product Key and that you would have to call in?

You cannot transfer the License from an OEM type to what is essentially a new system (when you change the system board), and if you had Recovery disks you have an OEM type of XP> only the Retail versions can transfer.

3. infojunky50

infojunky50 Thread Starter

I reloaded the recovery discs and then used a OEM copy of WIndows Xp to do a repair install and it's all up and running and updated, better than it was new. IT activated with no problem, using original product key on machine.THX for the advice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice