1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Xp screen goes black & machine reboots

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by taketime, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+, x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 991 Mb
    Graphics Card: VIA/S3G KM400/KN400, 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114471 MB, Free - 98471 MB;
    Motherboard: soyocomputer, K7VME
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Different computer, another problem. It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing, it just goes black & then reboots. Offline & online. Can be working in Picassa offline, reading email, playing Pogo, watching a news video, etc. Driving this old lady crazy! You guys have given me fantastic help in the past so am hoping you can do so again. Just got it home from computer guy a couple of weeks ago, he wiped & reinstalled XP since I had seriously messed it up. Should I give up on computers or do I still stand a chance. I called him & he seemed to think I was doing something wrong - not so! Being a good girl & not downloading programs that will make things worse. Besides, this started only a couple of days after I got it back. :mad:

2. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

Can anyone help? Desperate in Illinois:cool:

3. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

First go to start > control panel> System Info> Select the "Advanced" tab> Look down to where it says "Startup
    and Recovery-Settings" and click on it> When window opens Un-check the Automatically Restart Box

BUT I think the problem is the video card. Please check the graphics setting to make sure the refresh rate is correct. Your monitor should be set to 75hz. make sure your desktop resolution is set to 1280 x 1024. If neither of those help, try installing the newest video driver or buying a new video card.

4. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

Followed your instructions and when it did it again I got the blue screen info: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    STOP 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFF8B, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804DB778) I rebooted and got this Microsoft Errir
    BCCode: 1000000a BCP1:FFFFFF88, BCP2:00000002, BCP#:00000001, BCP4:804DB778 - OSVER:5_1_2600 SP:3_0 SP:3_0 Product:256_1
    Ok none of that probably means anything so here I sit, waiting for your instructions & thanks :)

5. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

I ran Directx and according to that, the graphics are fine. I really need to solve this problem as I sell on Ebay to stretch the SS and can't have computer shutting down in the middle of listing. Should I do a HIJACK THIS and post it on here. Many thanks.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Blue screen info; its one of those general ones so nothing specific to look at.

Two longshots you might try if you know your way around the BIOS a bit. One is to set the ESCD configuration switch so it redetects upon reboot.
    If that has no effect, try resetting the whole BIOS to default settings and rebooting. This latter step may cause some other settings that were correctly in effect to not be correct and you get a error message to enter setup (BIOS) and correct them; usually it will just be an incorrect multiplier for the processor if you do get a message so you might note those settings previous so you can correctly set them again if it doesn't do it automatically when you enter the BIOS.

If that doesn't do anything then I'm afraid its a slog; try and find what the problem can be with the help of the KB article.

7. hypheni

hypheni

A quick info:
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+

This processor seems to have overheated and your pc restarts. How old your PC is ?..

8. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

Do not know but it was within the last month, overhauled, wiped & xp reinstalled. Is there a way to check temps?

9. hypheni

hypheni

10. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Post the Minidump files.
    Look in c:\windows\minidump
    ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

Right-click the minidump file, select Send To.
    Then select Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Windows will compress the file and then save the new zipped file in the same location.

11. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

Took computer back to the guy that built it & am using a loaner right now. It got to the point where it was blue screen most of the time. Wish I could have stuck it out here but just was too frustrated. Thanks all for the help you give people like me!:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!