1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Service Pack 1 won't complete download

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Richardisstuck, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richardisstuck

Richardisstuck Thread Starter

Hi. I will buy a new PC with Windows 8, but I don't have the money until March! BUT, I need my old PC to work now. I just reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition from 2002. When I go to Microsoft.com to download Service Pack 1, it almost completes and then it says 'Cannot connect to server.' That's impossible, my Verizon Fios Internet is working fine! Help!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download and save the

TSG System Information Utility

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire text here.

-------------------------------------------------------

What did you use to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition?

Assuming it's an original legitimate disc, is any service pack number listed on the label?

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Richardisstuck

Hi. Thanks. Here are the results you asked for...Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,, 32 bit - Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 - Processor Count: 1 - - - RAM: 1023 Mb - - - Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 (HP), 64 Mb - - - Hard Drives: C: Total - - - 281159 MB, Free - 273374 MB; D: Total - 4988 MB, Free - - - 673 MB; - - - Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD, MS-6579 - - - Antivirus: None - - - - - - - - I installed factory issued CDs. There are 1 through 8. The title of the discs are 'hp pavilion home pc SYSTEM RECOVERY WinXP Home Edition' (for distribution only with a new hp pavilion home pc) Copyright Hewlett-Packard Company, 2001 - - - I know that I also can't update my browser (Internet Explorer). Many times, I see an error message that there is a problem with the 'Kernal32.dll' - - - Another problem is with the 'library.' - - - What do you think I should do?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If that old computer is a HP/Compaq brand, advise what the model name and model number is.

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm only aware of a full download for SP2 and SP3, but not for SP1, so I don't know where you're getting it from.

There's an express download for SP1, but I've never used it and don't know how well it works.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. Richardisstuck

Hi. Here is the info........ HP Pavilion 700 - - - - MODEL 732c - - - - - S/N MX22422932 - - - - - HWBOM:101 - - - - - SW BOM:NA70 - - - - - SYSTEM NUMBER: P9846A - - - - - AC INPUT 100-127V - 4.0A - - - - - 50/60 HZ 200-240V - 2.0A - - - - - The Microsoft website for Service Pack 1 is: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19751 - - - - - - However, it won't complete the installation process. It gets about 1/3 of the way through, and then it shows an error message saying 'Cannot connect to server.' - - - - Can you please help me? Would you consider doing a remote assistance for me if you and I use something like 'showmypc.com'?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and downloads site for the HP Pavilion 732c(P9846A) desktop.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows XP Home Edition(original version with no service pack) pre-installed.

Based on that and the dates of some of the driver downloads, it's 10 - 11 years old.

------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't use remote assistance here because of security issues with it and because it's very time-consuming.

Go here to download and save the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade.

After it's downloaded and saved, close all open windows.

Double-click it to start the upgrade process.

I don't know if the upgrade will succeed without first having SP1 or SP2 installed, but it won't hurt anything to try.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

If I recall correctly service pack 3 will not install unless you have service pack 2 installed. You do not need service pack 1.

Go here and download service pack 2 and burn to a CD.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28

With Windows XP installed without a service pack, you should be able to install service pack 2 then upgrade to service pack 3. You will then need to go to the Microsoft site and complete all the Windows updates.

8. Richardisstuck

Thank you, flavallee and win2kpro. Your ideas HALF worked. I tried to download Microsoft's free Windows XP SP3 for IT professionals, but I got an error message stating "Listen you idiot, you must have SP2 installed first before you can install SP3." I was sad. But I said to myself, "maybe when the people at Microsoft wrote SP2 for IT pros, they thought to include an SP1 for users so that SP2 could install without getting stuck in the middle of the process. So, I tried it. I downloaded SP2 for IT pros. It installed! I couldn't believe it! It was like a miracle! I had been trying for a least 20 hours of trial and error to download SP1 so that I could update my Windows XP Home Edition. Also, without SP1, I couldn't update my Windows Explorer 6. I seemed to be stuck in the past. But, thanks to Microsoft, I was able to finally get past the barriers and finally install SP2. Then it was simple to install SP3 after that. Then I was able to update my browser to Explorer 8. Whew! I so relieved! - Richard Kutney

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear that installing SP2 first and then installing SP3 afterwards worked. :) (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice