1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Service Pack 2 - Access is Denied

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zerch, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zerch

zerch Thread Starter

Hey,

I own a SONY VAIO desktop PC, and I'm trying to install the XP Service Pack 2. However, whenever I try to, either when prompted by Windows Automatic Update or when I do it on Microsoft's website, the installation would always pause midway and return with an "Access is Denied" dialogue box.

Microsoft's website had something regarding this issue --http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148 -- but under Step 2, I couldn't find any specific registry key that resembled the one that was given
    This is what I see in the setupapi.log text file:

Code:
    #E008 Setting registry value HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ssdpsrv\\DependOnService#E033 Error 5: Access is denied.
    #E065 Parsing AddReg section [Product.Add.Reg] in "c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\update\update.inf" failed. Error 5: Access is denied.
    #E064 Parsing install section [ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install] in "c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\update\update.inf" failed. Error 5: Access is denied.
    #E008 Setting registry value HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ssdpsrv\\DependOnService
    #E033 Error 5: Access is denied.
    #E065 Parsing AddReg section [Product.Add.Reg] in "c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\update\update.inf" failed. Error 5: Access is denied.
    #E064 Parsing install section [ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install] in "c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\update\update.inf" failed. Error 5: Access is denied.
    Just in case, I did go over to Regedit and, under Permission, checked the Allow box for Administrators for the registry value
    Code:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ssdpsrv\
    I tried reinstalling the Pack, but it still doesn't work.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this issue. Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. MikeSwim07

MikeSwim07

Please do the following:

Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
    Filename = MGADiag2.exe
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Press "Copy to clipboard" and then you can paste to Wordpad and post to this thread

4. zerch

zerch Thread Starter

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Here are the results of the MGDiag Tool:

Code:
    Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KX9HW-YM6W9-XHR2G
    Windows Product Key Hash: 8a+5HJJ0ZwuZ7+2DOTFIcn8INBM=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00110
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.1.0.hom
    ID: {C71A64EC-3132-414C-B2E8-6463DCF5CE4F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_B4D0AA8B-531-645_B4D0AA8B-531-645

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C71A64EC-3132-414C-B2E8-6463DCF5CE4F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.1.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XHR2G</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00110</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-810936116-3694394472-1250423605</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>PCV-RS610(UC)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>2001    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040409******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>Sony Corporation,Sony Corporation</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>FCCD3BE701846052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Sony Electronics Inc.</name><model>VAIO Computer</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>  	<Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

5. zerch

zerch Thread Starter

Hmm. Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Run regedit and search for and just DELETE all instances of vnd.ms.radio There may be others in other locations than the one in the MS article.

Then run it again and search for:

16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819 which IS mentioned in your error.

I think you will find it somwhere in:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface

Export (Save) anything here before trying to delete or change permissions.

Try deleting the subkey in which that particular string is contained, or try changing the permissions on it (right click interface) to include "everyone".

7. zerch

zerch Thread Starter

Hey Rog,

Thanks for your response. I ran regedit, did a Find of vnd.ms.radio, and deleted all those registries with that name.

However, I couldn't find 16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819. I also took a look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface, but that didn't yield anything either.

There is, however, a folder, named 16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819 under c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I thought there was a necessary registry reference to that some place but it's been a while since I've addressed a similar issue.

I don't think the setup will go through if you "delete" that file (as long as you back it up it wouldn't hurt to try though).

However, check the permissions on it and see if you can change them to include "everyone".

In XP Home you will need to boot up in Safe Mode to access the security tab from the file properties menu.

Also for any other registry keys in which you still receive that error -- don't delete -- but right click on them and select Permissions and give "everyone" full control.

possibly this one:
    I know the vnd.ms.radio keys were safe to delete because I've had multiple successes with that. Others you may be getting blocked in may be assocated with currently installed devices.

9. zerch

zerch Thread Starter

Hey Rog,

I did exactly what you said, deleted vnd.ms.radio (it seems to come back every time I restart, hah), and in safe mode, modified the permissions for the folders.

Then I did the setup. I'm glad to say that it worked! Except now that I restarted it, Automatic Updates prompts me to install Service Pack 2 (despite my system now having that already).

Anyways, thanks so much! (y)
    You saved my computer!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, odd about Automatic Updates though -- you are getting the install recognized as SP2 in "system properties"?

11. gahelton

gahelton

I have the exact same problem with my SP2 update for XP Home.

The registries have been cleaned with Registry Mechanic.
    All keys and values with "vnd.ms.radio" have been removed from the registry.

After the SP2 install attempt, Setupapi.log shows an error -
    #E008 Setting registry value HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ssdpsrv\\DependOnService

However, my registry does not show a "DependOnService" entry. Instead it has entries like this one stange entries like "$%&'()*+,-.". Permissions for the entire "SSDPSRV" folder were changed for Full Control, but still "Access Is Denied" when SP2 installation is attempted. I tried to add the DependOnService key underneath SSDPSRV with regedit, but Windows says that it already exists. It appears as if the keys underneath SSDPSRV are encrypted somehow ?

How do I change the permissions on this item so SP2 will install ?

Thanks in advance.

12. gahelton

gahelton

XP SP2 install problem solved ! Spysweeper blocking access to fix registry.

The reason why SP2 would not install was because several registry keys were out of wack. First, I searched my registry and deleted all registry keys and values with "vnd.ms.radio". For one of them, I had to change the permissions to Full Control to allow deletion. The other problem was registry key -
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ssdpsrv\\DependOnService.

The DependOnService value was not part of SSDPSRV in my registry; although, I don't know how or why it was missing. I set the permissions of SSDPSRV to Full Control, and tried to add the value "DependOnService". However, I was blocked from adding this value. This is the registry value that the SP2 install program could not find, and was described as an error in "setupapi.log" file.

Spysweeper from WebRoot was installed on this computer. However, I thought that it might intefer with the SP2 update. So, I deselected the Program option so that Spysweeper would NOT run at Windows startup - Then rebooted. I believed that Spysweeper was disabled at this point. However, THIS IS NOT CORRECT ! Looking in Task Manager, I saw that "Spysweeper.exe" was still running.

At this point, I uninstalled Spysweeper and rebooted the computer again. This time, spysweeper.exe was not listed in task manager. Using "regedit", I naviated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV. Then added "New>Multi-String Value" "DependOnService". Once added, I set the value to "HTTP".

Once this registry key was added, SP2 installed with no problems. Then Spysweeper was reinstalled.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes, I believe Spysweeper also as an option to block registry changes -- there was probably a way to disable that, but I don't run the program myself.

14. punkboy15

punkboy15

I have been working on a customers computer that was seriously infected with virus's and spyware. I finally got everything out and tried updating their computer. Everything went fine except sp2. I got the access denied error. I checked the log and got the error
    Went to it in the registry and all it had was directories of symbols.

Spysweeper is installed on the computer so I will try what gahelton did. I will get back with results

I think the directories might be remnents from a virus or spyware because I have spysweeper on my home computer with xp and my registry looks normal.

15. imagecko

imagecko

Thank you soooo much for posting the solution. I searched the Internet for a couple of days looking for the answer to my problem. It was exactly like yours. I followed your instructions and viola! it worked like a charm...you are awesome...it was a pesky problem, very complicated to solve. You did it...Kudos to you!

16. rene.fennet

rene.fennet

Hi there,

Needle in a haystack to find this thread...
    Same deal with SP3, only after getting ridd of spysweeper, SP3 install succeeds.
    Had same issue getting ridd of Spysweeper, trick is to uncheck "start program when windows start" in the Options section, AND to boot in Safe Mode, and turn of the Webroot Spysweeper kernel service ....

Another Microsfot rollercoaster discovery ride :mad:

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!