Solved: XP SP2 Security Centre Query

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigBad64

For some reason a red shield and balloon just popped up in the tray at the botton of the screen today saying that my anti-virus program may not be operating. I run NIS 2006 which has been humming along in unison with the SP2 Security Centre for ages. The Security Centre before today has been reporting that NAV 2006 and the Norton Firewall were both detected and operating correctly. I also have the security centre set not to notify me re the firewall and AV settings, making me wonder why the balloon even popped up.

Now, without any change the Security Centre seems to have become unaware of the Norton Anti Virus or Firewall. It's not even detecting they are there, let alone their status.
I have told the Security Centre that I am running my own Anti-Virus and Firewall and it is saying "Not Monitored" in regards to both.

I have run Norton Live Update a few times and nothing has changed.

Can anyone say why Security Centre has dropped back to not monitoring the status of the Norton AV & Firewall when it did so without any dramas previously?

Can I get it back to this reporting status?

(The Norton Protection Centre is reporting that the Firewall and AV are both operating correctly, by the way.)

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, What other antimalware programs are installed- are you using SpyBot Search and Destroy? There is a detection by SpyBot that may affect the Security Center alert function.

This below is a good thread about this, and in post #36 on the 4th page of the thread you may find something that will help you. Norton IS seems to have it's own box to check/uncheck as to how the Security Center alerts you.

You should read through the whole thread, as it will give you some tips
about using Windows Security Center along with 3rd party security suites, firewall, antimalware programs, etc.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=75&page=4

Couldn't hurt to take a look and check the settings of all the things they have gone through.

BigBad64

I am using Spybot S&D 1.4 & Ad-Aware SE Personal. I've read the link you suggested and have excluded the detections re the firewall/anti-virus from further detections. Strange that prior to this gremlin Spybot didn't make those detections, despite the 1st & 3rd boxes being unchecked in the SP2 Security Centre.

As an aside, simultaneously I got the "Application has failed to start - framedyn.dll not found" error when I tried to start Spybot 1.4 and have now gone through and fixed that via Q319114 from Microsoft.

Would these 2 gremlins be related?

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Not sure about that last error you saw, that's a new one for me... SpyBot does have it's share of some weird errors, but most of them have been fixed along the way via it's Updates.

We used to get all kinds of German language errors, just about drove us nuts!

Was there any setting in your Norton program, as was described in the SpyBot forum thread?

BigBad64

NIS 2006 did have a check box "Show Messages From Windows Security Centre" as suggested in your post. I checked that and the XP SP2 Security Centre seems to be happy again. It's reporting that the NIS 2006 Firewall and AV scanning are operating correctly.

I didn't uncheck this box recently so I'm not sure why things changed.

Anyway, problem solved. Many thanks for your assistance.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, If your're happy we are = I will mark this solved for you.

You can beat me to it if you move fast....use the Thread Tools button at the top of the thread page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online