1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP SP3 and plugin-container.exe issues with module ntdll.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JDS775867914, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDS775867914

JDS775867914 Thread Starter

Recently, I was given a laptop in which the OS environment is XP SP3. Since I started using the machine, there have been an untold number of problems that have occurred that seem to point to ntdll.dll {5.1.2600.5755 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)} and plugin-container.exe. To help you all understand the situation, I use Firefox, not IE.

It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I've installed addins to my browser. The problem is most prevalent whenever I run streaming audio which requires the Flash plugin.

SCENARIO:

After ~ 30 minutes (the length of time is never consistent) of listening to streaming audio, the browser either hangs, or crashes...sometimes, I have to end the firefox.exe process via Task Manager. Here's an example of the details logged in Event Viewer-->Application:

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 01.10.2011
    Time: 03:40:55
    User: N/A
    Computer: JSHELTON
    Description:
    Faulting application plugin-container.exe, version 1.9.2.3989, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, fault address 0x0000100b.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 70 6c 75 ure plu
    0018: 67 69 6e 2d 63 6f 6e 74 gin-cont
    0020: 61 69 6e 65 72 2e 65 78 ainer.ex
    0028: 65 20 31 2e 39 2e 32 2e e 1.9.2.
    0030: 33 39 38 39 20 69 6e 20 3989 in
    0038: 6e 74 64 6c 6c 2e 64 6c ntdll.dl
    0040: 6c 20 35 2e 31 2e 32 36 l 5.1.26
    0048: 30 30 2e 35 37 35 35 20 00.5755
    0050: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
    0058: 74 20 30 30 30 30 31 30 t 000010
    0060: 30 62 0d 0a 0b..

I want to uninstall SP3, however, by doing so would cause system instability. There are ~131+ applications and tools that were installed by the previous owner who also installed the said service pack. With little knowledge in HW/SW architecture, I did not want to take any unecessary risks by uninstalling SP3 lest I render the laptop inoperable.

I have the XP SP2 OS installation disk which has ntdll.dll {5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)}. But, I feel that it is unwise to over-write the existing ntdll.dll with the one from the installation disk. I seriously doubt this would correct the problem(s) since all other system dlls are from XP SP3; and there would be major incompatibility issues between different dll versions.

In trying to find an alternate solution, I attempted to reformat the partition (the laptop only has 1 making it impossible to backup files I want to keep). However, when I tried to reformat the partition, I received messages informing me that I needed to stop the processes running in the background.

Next I tried to access the BIOS to reformat the partition, unfortunately, I do not remember the Administrator PW required to access the system configuration menu (this is another issue to be discussed under a different forum topic).

If anyone has any helpful advice or a good solution to rectify my problem(s) that I've described herein, please let me know. Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You've received a laptop that contains all the "debris" and problems from the previous owner which is going to be impossible to clean out and correct.

What you need to do is boot from an actual XP CD, format the hard drive, and do a clean install of Windows XP.

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. JDS775867914

The brand is Compaq (manufactured and supported by HP),
    The model is ACPI Uniprocessor PC, HW ID is 'acpiapic_up,'
    The model number is ST960821A
    Date of model release: 01 July, 2001

To translate, the laptop is a 'dinosaur'....:( (albeit, I shouldn't be complaining since it was a gift from one of my roommates who knew I needed a computer after explaining that I once had an IBM ThinkPad T41p (refurbished) in which the motherboard 'died').

I agree with you that a clean sweep of the partition is required, and I do have the OS XP SP2 installation disk. However, as I stated earlier, my attempt to reformat said partition proved to be somewhat futile. I was greeted with rather 'vague' pop-up messages directing me to stop programs and other processes running in the background before attempting to reformat the disk. Well, I did not have any programs running, and I do not believe that I was connected to the network server at the time when I tried to reformat the partition. It is doubtful that being connected to a remote server on the network would cause any interference issues when reformatting a disk; please correct me if I'm wrong regarding this assumption.

One thing I forgot to mention...I ran several different registery scanners, and based on the results, the average number of registry errors is ~ 520. Now, that is what I would call 'debris'. A compromised registry could possibly prevent a disk from reformatting (?) You think?

I appreciate your feedback.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the brand name is Compaq, it's made by HP/Compaq and will have a sticker with a product number on it. That'll tell me what the model name and model number is. Once the description is confirmed, necessary hardware and driver information can be obtained.

It doesn't matter how much "debris" is in the registry or the file system. A hard drive format wipes everything out.

The use of registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs will make the problems with that computer even worse. Stay away from them!

If you have an actual XP SP2 CD, you go into the BIOS and set the optical drive first in the boot order, then insert the CD in the optical drive and boot from it, then format the hard drive, then do a clean install of XP SP2. The CD does all the work and makes the process very straight-forward. Here is a good pictorial and instructional guide on how to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. JDS775867914

The information to which you were requesting is:

S/N: CNF6010K10
    P/N: EP381UA#ABA

I know that I that I can reformat the partition from the BIOS, as well as reorder the boot sequence to have the CD drive first in order to begin installing XP SP2. Unfortunately, I do not remember the Administrator PW to access the system menu after pressing <F10>. After 3 failed login attempts at the BIOS level, a screen appears with text displaying: "SYSTEM DISABLED". At this point, I have to power it down and restart it.

Yes, I do have the OS XP SP2 installation disk, but will have to figure out how wipe out the disk with the issues of running processes and other programs when I have none running. This laptop, as I mentioned earlier, has only 1 partition, as well as a CD/DVD R-W media drive. Without having any R-W CDs, and only 1 partition, poses somewhat of a challenge in terms of backing up files and install packages that I do not want to lose. Unfortunately, I do not have a domain (yet) to which said files, etc., could be uploaded as backup.

I could not agree with you more regarding those registry cleaners, PC boosters, etc., I had a suspicion regarding their integrity, however, to hear someone else say the same thing really puts things in perspective. Those free downloads only 'detect' the errors, but you have to purchase their product in order to 'so-call' clean the registry, and other issues. There's no guarantee those programs will work by performing the tasks indicated...so, it's essentially a huge waste of money, and not to mention time.

I will check out the link you've included in your reply to also see if there is any information about 'recovering' the BIOS Administrator PW. I hope that a problem like this does not require bringing in the laptop to have the harddrive replaced, and this one that was given to me is beyond old, and it doesn't seem to warrant the effort if this particular model is no longer supported service-wise (but, I don't know)

In a case like this, if nothing can be resolved, I would do well to purchase/lease a much more reliable laptop, e.g., either a new, or a refurbished IBM ThinkPad (a.k.a, Lenovo)....preferably with Unix as the system architecture.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a big problem if 3 failed password login attempts in the BIOS has disabled the system. Replacing the hard drive won't correct that. The BIOS chip and software is in the motherboard.

According to product number EP381UA#ABA, that computer is a Compaq Presario V2570NR laptop. Here is the HP/Compaq support site for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. JDS775867914

What I forgot to mention in my previous post was that when I rebooted the machine after the 3 failed login attempts to access the BIOS screen, the bootup proceeded without incident. The "SYSTEM DISABLED" message I've learned just informs the user that they've been locked out per se, but that does not make the machine useless. I didn't know that at the time when this first happened to me...Upon restarting the laptop, all was well beyond that point, as long as I don't press <F10> to access the BIOS which was configured to prompt for the Administrator PW, I'm fine.

I'll check out the link you've provided above to see what I details I can glean from the information regarding this laptop model.

Thank you again for your feedback...it's much appreciated.

p.s., If I do find out how to rectify the Administrator PW to access the BIOS, I will definitely post it under the appropriate forum topic for those who might encounter this problem. I've embedded the link to the site that might shed some light on how this can be done.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The TSG forum rules don't allow discussing and assisting with a forgotten password.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. JDS775867914

Duly noted...

Thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice