Solved: XP SP3 install - failed to install catalog files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jbuchanangb

Hi

I am trying to upgrade from XP Pro 2002 SP2 to SP3 on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 Laptop with 1GHZ Pentium 3 processor and 512MB RAM. Have attempted twice, and after about 90 mins to 2hrs when I come back to the PC I find "failed to install catalog files."

XP SP3 is listed in the Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" list, and I considered removing whatever was there but was put off by the warning.

Given the length of time it takes to run the upgrade, I don't really want to start it again without first taking some corrective action which might increase the chance of success.

Log from TSG Sysinfo follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III processor, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 510 Mb
Graphics Card: Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade-XP (Toshiba), 16 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 19077 MB, Free - 7409 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

All suggestions welcome

John

jbuchanangb

From Windows Update web site. File has downloaded OK, install runs OK for 2 hours, then fails as described.

jbuchanangb

This PC only has 512MB memory, and can't take any more. I'll try the download method, and if that doesn't work I'll try the method of making a CD.

jbuchanangb

Downloaded 316MB of SP3 file, and set it going. Came back some hours later to find "failed to install catalog files". I will now try Evandil's suggestion.

You did a good job sorting through all the crap that comes up in a search to find the real gem of information. Congratulations. Good work. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online