1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: XP stand for Xtra Problems?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by HexStar, Oct 7, 2003.

Unmark Solved
?

?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  3. I don't understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not Here

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
Advertisement
  1. HexStar

HexStar Guest Thread Starter

I've been checking out the XP forum and see lots of posts having to do with problems with XP. This caused me to think, do you guys think that Xtra Problems would be a more suitable name for XP?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Give me (I Have) Win 98 SE ant day! :D

3. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

I run Windows XP on all 4 of my computers (3 desktops and 1 laptop). I haven't a single problem with XP on ANY of them. The laptop and two of the desktops have always run on XP and they run great. Another of my desktop's used to run on 98 SE, and it had more problems then than it does now with XP (only problem now is it is slow, although it was just as slow on 98, but what do you expect on 450mhz).

Although... on my laptop the home network wizard won't run (won't pop up, load, error, or anything). I think it may have more to do with Norton interferring though, and I certaintly wouldn't consider it a problem with XP.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

XP's got problems, but its head and shoulders above 98 SE. Just not having to deal with Scan Disk is reason enough alone to abandon any version of 98.

I find Win2000 to be more stable than XP and easily the best of the OS to date. Although XP is definitely superior at networking and its ability to take advantage of graphics is really nice--there is a significant difference in my flat screen monitor when running it on an XP.

But the major advantage of either XP or 2000 over the prior OSs is the ability of it to isolate problems and close only the offending programs rather than crash the system. And XP is excellent at saving and recovering your work. Can't tell you how many times with 98 I lost work I was doing on a Word or Excel file that XP is able to save and recover when you have a problem.

I'd say if you have Win2000, don't bother with the upgrade, but if you have any earlier OS, then it is well worth it.

bassetman--you'd sing a different tune after 6 months with 2000 or XP! ;)

5. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i didnt have to reinstall 98 as much but xp crashes less

6. lisaa7002

lisaa7002

My only problen with xp has been with getting some games to work on it & that's not so much the fault of xp... overall I really like it.

7. P3-450

P3-450

XP XP XP XP XP XP XP XP

Have ran XP Pro from day one and have not gone back since(apart from a dual boot on my other system)

Xp is alot more stable IMO and if you treat it well then it will treat you well.:)

:) (y)

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

XP should have been an improvement over win2000, instead it's a step between 98 and 2000. Hopefully, we'll see improvements with longhorn. Xp is much better than 98, but has a ton of quirkiness issues, once you get them worked out, it works flawlessly. One of my main complaints with XP is it's default services configuration. Next would be the hidden spyware issue.

Me, I'll keep tooting windows 2000.

9. gws226

gws226

I've been able to leave WinXP machines on for months on end without any problem.... Windows2000 is compariable in that feat...

I never saw that with any Windows98SE machine

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Where is the DUN server in winXP? Even Windows98 had that...

11. HexStar

12. rmay635703

rmay635703

XP had core level conflicts with some of my devices, I had to end up replacing a sound card as XP didn't like it.

I've also had hard freezes with XP far more often than Windows 98 which might blue screen but I could usually back out and get back to windows.

Also I've found that when XP crashes bad it tends to take all of my HD data with it as opposed to Win98 which just requires a reboot or at the most reinstallation but at least the data stays.

Overall I'm not paticularly happy with the registration BS either as I install different hardware often, my school bought copy of XP is now non-functional as I found you can only reinstall (not fresh) it twice and then you can't activate it anymore.

Overall quite aggrivating, though I still don't mind Win2k which is where I ended up stopping.

Cheers

13. HexStar

neat.:)

14. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

xp is more finicky on what was installed on a hard drive also.
    i tried to install xp over a linux harddrive and it wouldnt do it.

15. websurfer

websurfer

I've actually never had a real problem since I put XP on over a year ago... now when I had 98 (SE).... it's a different story >_<

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice