Solved: XP Start Menu Recent Program List gone

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Uncle Dance

Hope you can help. The Start Menu Recent Program List has gone, although the settings suggest it should be there. Nor can I find where it stores this info. How do I get it back?

Cheers,
UD

it might also help, if those do not work, to actually uncheck the box, select OK to close it, and then open it back up again, and select it

Uncle Dance

Thanks for your replies.

I tried clearing the list, reducing the number of items in it (which just reduces the size of the blank so it's there but not displaying, rather than absent), changing to and back from Classic, and had a look round TweakUI without success, hence the post. Which box are you referring to, madd74? Well, I'll have another go, maybe I forgot to do something.

Where does XP store the items?

Cheers, UD

Uncle Dance

In XP Smoker, the Disable User Tracking (Miscellaneous) had been ticked, probably by me trying to squeeze a bit more out of the beast (ahem!). Anyway, unticked it and now the MRU is populating itself again. Sorry, I should have thought of that earlier.

So what does that change in the system?

UD

Actually, I was thinking recent documents, not programs, sorry :)

Selecting Disable User Tracking in that program is going to "hide" what you are doing, and one of those things would be what programs you are running (maybe you don't want people to know you use IE, for example :) )

So checking that is going to prevent the registry from storing the program information, as well as some other things I would imagine (have not used the program before, so not sure what it all does).

Uncle Dance

I have not tried this and am not about to, so use at your own discretion.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/641/

Reading around, I see that quite few regard User Tracking as an unnecessary resource hog. However, if you use TweakUI to turn off tracking for all main programs and just leave the applets (e.g. Calculator), which are usually buried away somewhere obscure, then I can see it being very useful, especially if you use them in bursts and can't justify them clogging up the Pinned area.

(y) Thanks for all your contributions, guys and gals.

UD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online