1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: xp start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kevinv52000, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevinv52000

kevinv52000 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2559 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 (Microsoft Corporation), 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38138 MB, Free - 30725 MB; D: Total - 38130 MB, Free - 29924 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0W2562
    Antivirus: None

So I did a reformat of the primary C drive. I deleted all of the partitions and created a new partition. Then reinstalled xp from my cd that I received when I purchased the computer in 2004. Then I installed sp 2 and sp3. When i turn on the computer it always goes to a black screen with white text asking me to choose from two different windows xp lines. It is almost as if it is forgetting to go to the new partition to start from. It is more of an annoyance. It works so far. It has greatly increased the speed of the computer. Any thoughts. I have installed zone alarm and will be getting an antivirus.
    thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run: sysdm.cpl

Under Advanced tab > Startup button. Edit the boot.ini and remove the extra entry.

OR:

Run: msconfig

Check all paths.

3. kevinv52000

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    which one do I delete?

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

It appears to me that the hard drive is in 2 almost equal partitions and that XP is installed in both partitions.

----------------------------------------------------

5. kevinv52000

How do I determine if you are correct and if so then How do I correct it, without another reformat. I really do NOT want to repeat this process any time soon. It has been very rewarding as far as the responsiveness of the computer, but not a fun process.
    Thank you

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look at Disk Management and see what you see.

Are there 2 partitions and 2 drives (on the same physical drive)?

Run: %systemroot% and see where you are running your current system from.

What about space? How large is your current partition compared to the full size of the drive?

7. flavallee

Open the MY COMPUTER main window.

What's listed for the drive names and letters?

What's listed for each one for capacity, free space, and used space?

------------------------------------------------------------

Are C:\WINDOWS and D:\WINDOWS both listed?

------------------------------------------------------------

8. kevinv52000

Ok, I have checked out the hard drive C It has one partition I do have a D drive, BUT it is an actual other drive that I have always had as a back up drive. I am going to delete the Number 2 and see what happens. When I start the machine as long as I choose the first option of xp it starts up. I will either be successful or I will be crying for help from my laptop. Thank you.

9. kevinv52000

I deleted the second line and shut down and restarted the computer. It started normally. Thank you, I really appreciate everyone who participates in these types of forums and is willing to share there expertise and experience. Thank you all

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good job. I was going to tell you that they were in the same order as on the boot screen, but I guess you assumed that.[​IMG]

11. kevinv52000

Thanks, I thought that may be the case but you know what happens when we assume.

12. flavallee

The capacity of your C and D drives are almost identical, so I was thinking that you had divided the hard drive into 2 almost equal partitions. Thanks for clarifying that they're separate hard drives.

Since the capacity of the C drive is so small, you might consider doing the following so you can reclaim more free space:

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties, then move the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore, then move the slider from its default value of 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

There's no need for the recycle bin and for system restore to have so much space dedicated to their use.

-----------------------------------------------------------

13. kevinv52000

Thank you, again I really appreciate the advise. While it would be cool to update this tower, and I kind of have by buying a hp laptop, it still works, and much better now. I use it mostly to keep my business records on and do drawings for permits, and surf the web some. So I hope It will work for quite some time into the future. Again thank you for your time and expertise.

14. flavallee

As long as you're happy with that Dell Dimension 8300 and it does what you need it for, stick with it.

Windows XP will be supported by Microsoft for almost 2 more years, so there's no hurry to make the switch to Windows 7.

If you decide to get a laptop, I recommend a Dell model over a HP/Compaq model.

---------------------------------------------------------

15. uzi9mmauto

uzi9mmauto

For Starters you DONT have to install SP2 and then SP3. You can install SP3 as it contains SP2 already.
    Now to fix your issue its REALLY Easy actually.

Next-with the Dual Startup Options Issue
    go to SYSTEM in COntrol Panel

Then to [ADVANCED]
    'System Startup,system failure and debugging info

(Settings)

Startup and Recovery

and Select [Edit]

The one you started up at (where the Pull down TAB is above)
    Thats the default- Delete the OTHER one instead!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052827