1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: xp to linux to win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by maneddi, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maneddi

maneddi Thread Starter

a couple of years ago i purchased an asus eee pc 1000he with windows xp on it and gave it to my son. he later put linux on it and then later stopped using it because he bought a laptop. linux became outdated as it hasn't been used in quite a while. i want to remove linux and put a copy of my windows 7 home premium 64 bit from my laptop on it. i did not receive a disk with my laptop when i purchased it. is it possible to copy my laptop installation to the netbook?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If Windows 7 came pre-installed on that other laptop, you can't install it on another computer.

3. maneddi

maneddi Thread Starter

ok. so i guess i have to call somewhere in MS and ask for an xp disk? if so, what is the typical charge for one ?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You wouldn't call Microsoft. You'd have to call Asus and see if they'll sell you the restore disks for it.

5. maneddi

maneddi Thread Starter

ok, thanks. just thought of something tho. how would i get xp or windows 7 on the netbook since it doesn't have a disk drive.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

With an external optical drive.

I've installed Windows 7 from a flash drive. Instructions are available all over the web. Obviously you would need to purchase a Windows 7 license for the netbook.

I've never installed Windows XP from a flash drive. It may be possible.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice