1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP VAIO laptop starts, Windows doesn't, screen doesn't seem to.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by candiedRAM, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. candiedRAM

candiedRAM Thread Starter

I've never seen this problem before in my life and it has me mortified.

My Sony VAIO starts. It's plugged in normally. The power lights flash, it checks the CD-RW drive, and then remains on with the main power light on and the fan on, but the screen remains black and nothing else happens. Windows XP doesn't load. No Sony logo, no "Operating system not found," nothing. It's like it's had a lobotomy.

I haven't installed anything new, and the notebook has just been sitting around unplugged for a few days. The last thing I used it for was to burn a CD with Windows Media Player. The only change I can think of is that my USB tablet isn't plugged in.

Any suggestions? Thanks, everybody.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it has a battery installed, try removing that. Then with the laptop power plug UNplugged press and hold the power button for a second or two.

Then plug the power adapter back in WITHOUT replacing the battery and see if you can get a normal start.

3. candiedRAM

candiedRAM Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog: Thanks very much, I will bear that in mind, although I've never used the battery ever.

However, I resolved the problem with the help of someone on another forum, who suggested that I might need to reseat some components, which I did, and which worked.

So thank you very much for taking the time to give me your advice and like I said, I will bear it in mind should this ever happen again and I don't suspect that a hardware component has come loose.

*smooch*

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad you got it sorted out. I wouldn't have known what else to suggest other than a firm rap with your knuckles :)

The only time I've been in my laptop was to add memory.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351731