1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Validation Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Simple2008, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simple2008

Simple2008 Thread Starter

I did a clean install of windows xp pro, got through the whole process...put in my product code several times, with and without caps lock, and it came back saying the the product code was invalid. I checked several times and entered several times to no avail.

I am using the re-installation cd Dell had sent me when my computer did a whole blue screen thing and I had no idea how to go about re-installing. I paid them a fee to help me set-up. I even went to microsoft.com to check to make sure it would validate my OS. It did. I felt confident enough to do the re-install.

Dell's out-of-warranty department will charge me (I believe) for asking for help. Anyone know another option? Can I call Microsoft and see why my product key would is invalid? I'm trying to find a path where I don't have to spend money for something I already paid for. (n) ...unless I have to :(

I found the number to Microsoft and they told me to call 1-800-642-7676 (open 5 AM to 9 PM PST) for help. I guess this isn't a Tech Support Guy issue, but I will keep this topic updated if that is okay?

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

I didn't realize re-installation CD's even asked for a product code.
    I thought they were just drive images that were restored. Hmmmm.

3. Simple2008

Oh my god! I feel like a barely functioning human right now. I put in the wrong installation cd! I couldn't figure out why it was giving me the invalid message... This has to go among the top dumbest things people do: I put my brother's xp professional disk...and my computer is xp home basic.

I searched everywhere for the disk that goes with my computer, but I can't find it.
    I went to dell.com and requested the reinstallation cd for my computer...no wonder the guy at microsoft said "I hope you haven't deleted it beyond..." and he didn't finish. Can I recover from this?

4. Simple2008

I installed the WRONG version of windows XP. I have home edition and I put in the xp professional. It does not accept my product key. Dell is going to be sending me the reinstallation cd (home edition) with 3-5 days, but how in the world do I get out of this set-up? The computer goes right to where the program asks for a validation key...I can't move forward nor go backward.

Will simply putting in the Home Edition reinstallation cd in make xp pro go away? PLEASE HELP!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'll have to reinstall when you get the CD from Dell because the product key on your machine will not work on any version of XP except those licensed to Dell. So you may as well wait until you get the CD since you'll have a whole, new OS, anyway.

6. Simple2008

Ok, I'll wait it out. Thanks.

7. Simple2008

I have the cd. I ran it. It went through the process and turned off. I waited for it to restart but it didn't. I turned it on myself and this is the message I recieve "NTLDR is missing, Press control Alt delete to restart"

I found this about the error message, which is true for me.
    Cause:
    Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
    Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
    Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
    Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
    Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
    New hard disk drive being added.
    Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
    Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

Anyone have any idea what I do now? Should I install it again?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the CD for your specific model machine?

9. Simple2008

I tried it again. I think the shut down had something to do with the fan...the computer was REALLY hot when I touched it...so I took it to a cooler place, fan it while it did its thing. I am now in the computer! Now I don't if I should think about replacing the fan...I've never had a problem with it before? It didn't even ask me for my product key..

Thanks elvandil for the responses.

Issue resolved

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the fan running? Just keep the vents free and it may be all right.

Good work.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice