1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: xp will not assign new drive letter for cell phone plugged into USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Life, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Life

Alex Life Thread Starter

I am trying to get my xpsp2 system to show a new drive letter in my computer. When I plug in my lg chocolate into the usb port, the device manager shows the driver, and says it's working properly. I have latest drivers for my phone, and all my other thumb drives mp3, work without a problem. I guess what I want to do is, plug in my phone and have the autoplay option display-or at least show the new drive letter like every usb device I use does!

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

See if it appears in Disk Management.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

3. Alex Life

Alex Life Thread Starter

No, the disk management shows NO new drives? Thanks for the reply.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you see it in Device Manager? Does the machine detect it when you plug it in?

5. Alex Life

Alex Life Thread Starter

Yes, the computer does detect the phone when plugged in........I get the usb tone and the driver is shown in device manager.......working properly.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you see it in Disk Management?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

7. artinas

artinas

Hey this happened to me, what you have to do is assign a drive letter to it, to do that go to:
    Control Panel > Performance Tools > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
    A new window should be open, look for a tab on the left side called "storage" and underneath that should be "Disk Management".
    Select that and on the right side it will show your current drives, then underneath it shows ALL of your devices connected and which drive its connected to, look for your phone and right click it. Now you need to select a "Change Drive Letter and Paths" now all you need to do is give it a letter, and now it will always appear in "My Computer" without any issues.

Hope that helps you

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's where we were going, and hopefully that works. :D

9. artinas

artinas

haha sorry bro!! i didnt know that your way went to the same place as my way, haha i figured he did your way and it didnt work or somethin :p

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's OK. I try to take it one step at a time in case something unexpected comes up, but that would have been the next step if it shows up in DM anyway. :D

11. Alex Life

Alex Life Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips. I finally got the phone to work by plugging and unplugging several times in a row. The computer finally detected the new hardware and it worked, I will try the disk management trick if it acts up again. (My computer assigned it, a drive letter)

I would consider the problem solved, and would like to close this thread.

Thanks again.

Alex

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good work. Let's hope it keeps working. Having other USB devices disconnected may help.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice