Solved: XP WINDOW EXPLORER has encountered a problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

d1940

I have an old computer that had Win ME installed. I loaded XP. Everthing works as far as I know except when I search for a file I get the error nessage "Window Explorer has encountered a problem " and shuts down Explorer and the screen blinks then reloads desktop. I tried to do a sfc/scannow repair. I get a quick black flash and nothing is changed. My XP Pro disk does not have a repair option. I tried a install over the orginal installation and nothing changed. I have several programs and files that would be impossible to replace. I did the install because Turbo Tax would not work with ME. I do my taxes and wife uses this computer to do her clubs paperwork on. When I backed up the files there was not room to defrag. I transfered backup to a portable hardrive and now have 30% free. I am not a geek so please reply in easy to understand terms if you decide to help. Thanks in advance

i

d1940

****From application viewer****

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ESENT
Event Category: General
Event ID: 101
Date: 3/24/2008
Time: 10:39:17 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER
Description:
wuauclt (204) The database engine stopped.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

*****From system event****

Event Type: Error
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 17
Date: 3/26/2008
Time: 7:32:23 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER
Description:
Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 480 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Try This

Start > Run > regsvr32 wshom.ocx
Start > Run > regsvr32 jscript.dll
Start > Run > regsvr32 urlmon.dll

d1940

Start > Run > regsvr32 wshom.ocx failed module could not be found
Start > Run > regsvr32 jscript.dll succeeded
Start > Run > regsvr32 urlmon.dll succeeded

Now what?

d1940

sfc /scannow black flash and nothing happened

regsvr32 wshom.ocx Load library ("wshom.ocs') failed. The specified module could not be found.
What do you think?

Go To Start > Run > cmd > Give The Following Command With Xp Disc Inside The Rom

expand X:\i386\wshom.oc_ -r c:\windows\system32

Where X:\ = Your Cd|DVD Rom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online