Solved: XP wireless network - no networks found message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jpf8400

I have XP Pro on an IBM T42 laptop. Had significant trouble with trojans/malware recently, but believe I have cleaned and recovered.

Currently my wireless network at home is functioning OK. But when I go to "View Wireless Networks" it says that there are "No wireless networks in range." Also when I go to Advanced Settings, there is no data listed under "Preferred Networks."

I have two concerns. First I am wondering if there is still some residual effect from the malware that I should be concerned about. Second, when I travel I cannot search for available wireless networks because the utility always reports that none are available, even though some networks certainly are.

Thanks very much for any advice and help.

Go ahead and get to your device manager (start| right click my computer | hardware | device manager) and what is your wireless card?

jpf8400

The wireless card on my computer is Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, do wired connections work to the machine? What version and patch level of Windows are you running?

jpf8400

Wired connections do work. The OS is Windows XP Professional Ver 2002 with Service Pack 3.

As mentioned above, I can connect via wireless at my home, but the Connection Status dialog says "No wireless networks in range" and there is nothing listed in the "Preferred Networks" list.

Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
What wireless utility are you using--XP's WZC, Intel's Proset or maybe an IBM one? Are you sure that no other one is running?

jpf8400

As far as I can tell, only using XP's WZC (shows up in the Computer Management utility under "Services" as "Wireless Zero Configuration", correct?)

I don't think any other wireless utility is running...would be listed under "Services", right? I also checked for processes in the Task Manager and did not see anything that looks like a wireless utility.

I do have a Verizon aircard utility installed, but it is not running. Previously I noticed that the Verizon utility would conflict with the Windows wireless, causing a similar behavior. But again, that is not running.

Thanks again.

TerryNet

Terry
You are correct about WZC and that you should have found any other wireless utility in Services or in Task Manager.

Suggest that you go to Lenova's web site and make sure you have the latest Intel driver and utility for that Intel adapter. If you already have the latest driver use Device Manager to uninstall it; then reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall it.

And, finally, try using the Intel Proset utility instead of WZC. Sometimes it works much better than WZC (my theory is because Intel never got the driver quite right but their utility covers up the defects).

jpf8400

Thanks very much for the help. Problem solved.

I updated the driver to a slightly newer version - that did not work. I uninstalled the driver and went through a PNP reinstall. That did not work either. However switching to the Intel Proset utility did the trick.

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online