1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP won't detect pnp card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petrotech, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petrotech

petrotech Thread Starter

I searched the forum for this problem but found nothing. I was installing a new pcmcia serial card on my Dell Latitude D500 because I broke the old one. Before the drivers installed I realized that the drivers for the old card had not been uninstalled so I tried to stop the process so that I wouldn't get a conflict. Windows installed the wrong drivers and I got the message that my hardware might not work properly. I clicked ok before I realized the box was checked that said"do not ask to install this hardware again". I have the correct drivers but windows will not recognize the card. How do I reverse the "do not ask to install this hardware again"?

Thanks,

petrotech

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look for the device in Device Manager and install/uninstall from there.

In Pro, Run:

devmgmt.msc

In Home, right-click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager.

3. petrotech

petrotech Thread Starter

Already tried that. I uninstalled the device. It was showing up in device manager as a ghost device. I need to know where windows stores the information to not ask to install the hardware again so I can edit the file or registry entry show XP Pro will recognize my pcmcia card.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will appear in Device Manager as an unknown device with a yellow marking.

If XP is going to recognize your card, it will appear in DM or you can run the Add New Hardware Wizard to detect it. If not detected, install manually at the end of the Wizard.

5. petrotech

petrotech Thread Starter

I have tried all of that. I spent 3 hours this morning on the phone with Microsoft. We tried everything from deleting registry entries to creating a new hardware profile to logging on as administrator and trying in safe mode. I uninstalled every unknown and ghost device in DM. Windows simply will not see the card. I have a wireless pcmcia card that I will see if windows detects but I haven't had time to try that yet. If it does then I'll know that pnp and my pcmcia slot are working. If not, my only recourse is a windows reload from scratch ( I've done it a few times before). The microsoft tech wanted me to stop the pnp service but the stop, run and restart buttons were greyed out & I couldn't stop it. I also know the card is good because I have another laptop and windows sees it and installed the drivers fine.
    When I try to install the drivers manually I get a code 10 that windows cannot start my device because it is not present. Thanks for your efforts. I'll post a reply when I get it working.

6. petrotech

petrotech Thread Starter

After further troubleshooting. My laptop will not detect any pcmcia cards. I have updated the bios and searched for an updated driver for the pcmcia controller. I have uninstalled the controller several times and windows sees it and reinstalls it every time but will not recognize any card put into the slot. USB devices are recognized so I konw that PnP is working. Any help would be appreciated.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Beginning to sound like a mechanical problem with the slot itself. No indication or reaction by XP whatever when a card is inserted or removed?

8. petrotech

petrotech Thread Starter

It is a hardware failure. I reformatted and reloaded windows to no avail. I bought another laptop on ebay Tuesdoy. I'll give this one to the wife since she doesn't need the pcmcia slot.
    Thanks for your help.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Could be something as small as a bent pin. But that is enough to do it.

You can mark the thread "solved" using the Thread Tools.

10. petrotech

petrotech Thread Starter

I checked for physical damage before I did any software troubleshooting. I'm an electronics tech by trade. Thanks again for your efforts.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice