1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Won't Finish Booting. Hardware Problem?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spirittoo, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Well sir ... I was in the middle of trying to figure out how to do a new wireless connection because I kept losing it on my XP computer. While checking that out the computer locked up on me and I had to hit the reset button. Each time windows would lock up as it was starting to load up the system tray. Had no function from the wireless mouse or keyboard.

I tried to put in the XP install disk to try and do a repair but the disk would not load ... I got some kind of error. That led me to suspect hardware problem. I am doing a test on the WD 1TB hard drive ... all I have is the sea tool diagnostic DOS disk. I did a quick test and it pass. Now I am doing a long test. I tried to get a bootable cd version of WD diagnostic software, but I didn't see anything for a bootable cd ... just usb which I do not have.

So will the sea tool software be good enough to test the drive or is there better free software that will do it? If the hard drive passes, then I will use a dos version to test the memory. Not sure what to test after that if the memory test good. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading my post.:)

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    1. Do you get any errors while booting your computer? BSOD
    2. Is your 1TB HD your main disc drive (drive c)?
    3. maybe your OS program might gotten corrupted. If you haven't done a clean install for a long period of time I would recommend you in doing it. Make sure you backup everything before attempting this. NOTE: this step is optional for you to do. If you have more than one HD installed in your computer, disconnect them before reprogramming your computer and connect them back when finished.
    4. Do you have more than one HD in your computer installed?
    5. There is a free program which checks all your HD connected in your computer. It is called crystal disk info. and it takes less than a minute to give you all of your HD conditions.

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

My specs for the XP computer is in my sig.

No BSOD just locks up when loading the system tray. I don't even think I can do a install at this time because when I put the XP install disk in I get errors and it won't load which led me to believe there may be a hardware problem.

I was able to get into safemode once and I tried running hot cpu tester, but the machine locked up and since then I have been unable to go back into safemode ... it lock up now while loading. I just have the one hhd.

I tried doing an extended test with sea tool, but when it finished it stated I had to go to a cmd prompt to get the result and the system won't do that. I should have to do that I should be able to get the results. It is an older version of the software so I am going to try and make another bootable sea tool disk ...I can't find any info on how to make a bootable cd with WD software. I will see what info I can find on this crystal software you mention.

Yesterday I installed a driver for a kensington multi display adapter (M01063) to run a third monitor it worked fine for several hours.

Thanks for reading my post.

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Looks like you have to run that software in windows. I can't get into windows ... that's the problem.

5. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Things have gone from bad to worst .... I got no power now. I hit the power button nothing .... I replace the power supply with a brand new one ... nothing ... I removed some of the plastic around the wires leading to the power button to touch the expose wires to by pass the power switch ... nothing!!!!

I don't have a clue what is happening!!!!:confused:

6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you checked on the rear of your computer by the power supply to see if there is an on/off switch.

7. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  8. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Yes it does and I checked to make sure it was on. It was. Could it be the mobo? That's the only thing I can think of that would keep the computer from powering up other that the PS ... before this happened from time to time the computer would shut off for no reason. Didn't happen a lot, but it did happen and I didn't know what was up.

I checked and the mobo should still be under warranty ... the thing is I don't know how long it would take to replace it.

Would this board make it where I won't have to format the hhd?:confused:

Thanks for reading my post.

9. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I contracted Gigabyte on the phone and talked with a tech.

He told me to disconnect everything except the CPU ... and if it did not power up the mobo is bad. It didn't when I did all that so I requested a RMA as he instructed me to do if the computer still would not power up.

So that is what I did. They said it would take two business days for a RMA number.

So I guess the mobo when bad on me:(

10. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Is the board I posted a link to going to work with a FX 8120? It's for a 8320.:confused:

11. Crazy10

Crazy10

You'll have to flash the BIOS and reinstall Windows XP, but it will work!

Attached Files:

12. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Well sir ... I got the new mobo I posted ... got it hooked up, but when I power it on I get a fluctuating sound instead of the even sound you get when you power on the computer. I'm not getting any video either so it's just powering on and no more. I guess something is keeping it from getting full power ...

I tried hooking up a new power supply and the results were the same. So I'm scratching my head on this one.:confused: I'm not getting any system beeps at all.:(

13. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Update ....

I took out the video card and the fluctuating sound stopped but I still don't get a system beep or video. I hooked up the video into the motherboard, but still no video or boot up. I removed the memory sticks too one at a time ... no beeps. Even with both sticks out ... no beep.

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try another wall power outlet. Or another power bar.

15. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I tried another outlet and it didn't make any difference. Both outlets tested good with a mulitmeter.

Thanks for posting.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!