1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP Won't Let Me Print

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tangley, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tangley

tangley Thread Starter

I'm not sure this is the right forum. I posted the same message in the hardware forum earlier, but when I thought again it seemed more of a Winproblem.

I recently had a problem with freeze-ups from lack of disc space and/or memory, and managed, with help, to resolve it. One problem that started at the same time is that my OS wouldn't let me print. Whenever I tried to print anything I got a message saying "Document can not be printed due to a system error." Then it says to restart Windows and try again. I have restarted many times with the same result. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer. I have unplugged and re-plugged the cables. I have tried out every available port. I have searched Microsoft support pages for updates or hotfixes. The printer itself will print its diagnostic test page, so I think the problem is within Windows somewhere. But I can't find it. I've gone through the entire troubleshooter in Windows Help. Nothing works. All I get is the same message about an unidentified system error, with no clue as to what the error is.

Can someone please tell me what to do?

Acer Aspire Desktop
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor
    160 GB SATA Hard Disc/512 MB DDR2 Memory
    Printer: HP PCS 1210 All-In-One (color,inkjet,print,copy,scan)

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello have a look in control panel administrative tools event viewer

for any errors that might relate to your problem please

3. tangley

tangley Thread Starter

I'm attaching an exerpt from my event log with details of several warning/errors that might be pertinent. I hope you can understand it because I don't. If you find out anything that might help me to fix this problem I would love to hear it. Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Have you a windows cd

try sfc /scannow

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Have you any other printer drivers on your pc
    maybe from an old printer and are you using an office program

6. tangley

tangley Thread Starter

I ran the sfc /scannow about an hour ago and then rebooted. That didn't fix the error. Would it help to run the scan again?

I have never had any other printer. The printer is older than the computer. It worked well until this error came up a few days ago. I am not using a Microsoft Office or any other office style programs right now. I had Works Home but uninstalled it to free up disc space. I have it on disc.

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Select 'Start' ant then 'Control Panel'. Open the System icon and click on
    the 'Advanced' tab. Then select 'Performance' and the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab.

This can have two settings with the first one for essential windows programs
    and services. If you are running with this option then you should be OK and
    will not have to add the driver file.

However if you have selected the second option and are having problems
    printing (System Error) then you will need to press the Add button and add in
    the driver file.

9. tangley

tangley Thread Starter

It works!

Thank you! A thousand times thank you!

The wrong box was checked. I have no idea when, why or how it got changed. Whatever I did, I will never do it again.

I'm certainly glad there are people like you around. Thanks again.

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

My pleasure :D
    enjoy your printing(y)

11. liamclarke

liamclarke

Thank you so much, I have essentially the same system as Tangley. This is 1st store bought system I've had since 1995. I put several AMD based systems together, pretty good at hardware, but suck at software. The HP printer was working fine until I tested out a Canon on my system for my wife last week. I dual boot, the printer worked fine on Ubuntu, so I knew it was a windows problem. I went to 'Data Execution Prevention' and changed the setting. I tried everything except that.
    Thanks again,
    Liam

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Thats good news

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!