1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP won't shut down properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mickeyflame, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mickeyflame

mickeyflame Thread Starter

Whenever I try to shut down XP, it reboots straight afterwards. I then have to shut down again from the log-in screen. Windows then tells me a critical error occurred to which I send the report to Microsoft. The message back from Microsoft informs me the error report was corrupted... whats going on? Also system time (the clock) is always drifting off by a couple of days each time I reboot. Any suggestions?

2. fel1x

fel1x

re clock very likely iffy drained motherboard battery ( only cost £1)

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

do a clean boot

start run type msconfig enter go to start up tab untick all except anti virus and then re boot

go to clock top tab sync with internet let it sync click ok

3. mickeyflame

This problem has now escalated beyond belief. This problem is on my other (best) PC. Changed battery on MB now whenever I try to boot I get a quick flash of some blue screen just after passing Bios check. Floppy looks for something, blue screen flash, reboot over and over. Can't F8, Can only access Bios. CHKDSK HD, OK. can access disk via USB SATA dock. Reinstalled to PC, no joy. Tried installing fresh with CD, same thing happens.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Have you reset BIOS after changing battery ie: time date and ensured HDD is on Boot device.
    Sorry to see you back do soon after the other thread.

By the way - used to be a Long distance walker.
    One of them was Sale ( manchester) to centre of Manchester out to the first accessible towpath of the Rochdale (days before it was all redone) to Todmorden (overnight) HB SB C&H to Hudddersfield (overnight) back along Huddersfield over the tops of Marsden (overnight) back to Manchester.

5. mickeyflame

Hi Macboatmaster, good to see you know the area. Funnily enough I lived a Wales for a few years, Newport, Cardiff and Monmouth, loved it I did. Anyhows this problem is beginning to reallly get me hacked off, just fixed one PC and blow me this happens. I cannot access the hard drive at all from the PC it lives in all I get is a system message saying "Windows could not start because of a disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk etc." If I put the disk into a USB SATA docking station on my older PC I can access everything, I ran a CHKDSK /r and the report was everything ok. Can't think what I was doing prior to failure other than change battery. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

6. Macboatmaster

1. Time and date correct in BIOS
    2. HDD recognised in BIOS
    3. HDD set as boot device in boot priority not necessarily of course the first device.

7. mickeyflame

Still no joy
    Time&Date: Check
    HDD: Check
    HDD boot device priority: No longer displayed in BIOS, there used to be two options here, Name of HDD and Bootable Add-in cards. Now the only option is Add-in Cards?

8. mickeyflame

9. Macboatmaster

It is not practical to work on a thread, when you are trying links to other sites.
    Please do not think I am saying you have done anything wrong but after you had put the time and date correct, if it was not, you then reboot. If the HDD is not seen, then depending on the BIOS and having checked the connection to the HDD ie; Molex power or Sata etc and the data cable ie 80 wire or SATA
    you the reset HDD to auto. Reboot again and see if it found now. If not - loading BIOS defaults and of course F10 - normally to save each change and exit will normally fix this.
    If this
    means unrecoverable errors, then a format was probably the best way.

Flat CMOS batteries cause all sorts of problems. Including loss of BIOS setup.
    However - Windows time, can be wrong for entirely different reasons.

Before you waste your time check that HDD for bad sectors.

10. mickeyflame

Thanks Macboatmaster, I have never come across a problem like this before, did as you suggested, managed to get Bios to see HD again by clearing the CMOS, resetting time&date, HD boot etc. Still nothing happening, formatted disk in desperation, still no joy, still cannot do fresh install. Tried a spare SATA that was knocking around, formatted it, same thing. I suspect I have corrupted the BIOS somehow, maybe touched it removing the battery. I can access a limited command DOS screen with the XPCD recovery console (F7) but there is no RUN command to execute a .bat file to flash the BIOS (yes, I am that desperate now!).

When I try to install XP from CD, it loads all the setup files but when it comes to the 'Setup is Starting Windows' part it either hangs or gives me the message "Windows cannot install....Bios not fully ACPI compliant...etc.".

I haven't flashed the BIOS yet, would have done though if I was able. Perhaps time to back off for a while and chill out.:eek:

11. Macboatmaster

ACPI - advanced configuration and power interface was introduced in 2000. So unless that motherboard is 10 years old it will certainly be ACPI compliant. As it is clearly also has SATA connections it is certainly ACPI compliant.
    1. Go back into BIOS setup - if you have a setting for Load optimum defaults use that first. If the installation still reports BIOS is not ACPI compliant go back into BIOS and explore carefully for ACPI settings. ALSO if you have ADVANCED POWER MANAGEMENT setting in BIOS - disable that. - usually enter when cursor on that setting will display ENABLED or DISABLED. select disabled.
    ALWAYS REMEMBER on BIOS settings to SAVE AND EXIT normally F10.
    Otherwise all changes will be lost,#

2. ALSO check your ram is properly seated in the slots. TRY INSTALL AGAIN

3. RUN MEMTEST - you can run this even without the operating system installed.
    For memtest instructions please see this link.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/969443-solved-system32-drivers-ntfs-file.html
    MY POST 31 please.
    (obviously ignore the first line warning - Do Not do this - )

PROVIDING RAM IS OK and ONLY if all else has failed try as below.

If all this fails, Press F7 not F6 at setup as per this.
    When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability. Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation. To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been installed is pretty close to zilch.

Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP, the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6. Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that supports ACPI. The choices will be:

• ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    • ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    • Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    • Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
    • MPS Uniprocessor PC
    • MPS Multiprocessor PC
    • Standard PC
    • Standard PC with C-Step i486
    • Other
    In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use. A few cautions are also in order:

• Obtain and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard before you begin the XP installation.
    • Equally as important as using the proper HAL on ACPI capable systems, is NOT using it on systems that are not ACPI compatible. The install may complete but the system will almost surely fail to start when it reboots.
    • There are situations where it is definitely not desirable to use an ACPI HAL even if it is supported by the BIOS. This predominately applies to servers, but to ensure that an ACPI HAL will not be used or automatically detected and used, press F7 instead of F5 as discussed previously.
    Considering the number of problems that users have with systems not shutting down completely I wonder why this feature is not prominently mentioned and documented. It could save many headaches, but now you know. A good piece of knowledge to have tucked away for your next XP install.
    As a final note, to determine if your computer was detected as being ACPI enabled:
    Right click My Computer then click Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.
    Expand the entry called Computer. ​
    If the entry is 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' you're all set. If it says 'Standard PC' the computer BIOS was not detected as being ACPI capable.

The F7 to not detect ACPI and install REALLY IS A LAST RESORT on a BIOS that is most certainly ACPI compliant

12. mickeyflame

Thanks for that M. Tried all that, F5 only gave me two options ...C-step and options, since I don't have a suitable floppy tried C-step. Finally got XP CD to install. Got past inputting key, languages etc then towards end of installing files BSOD again and again and again, each time with a different error. Stripped machine down to MOBO but when reassembling bust the lug off the processor tensioner. GAME OVER (for now).

13. Macboatmaster

I am sorry about that.
    However it was F7 not F5.

14. mickeyflame

Thanks for all your help M. After reading your article on unplugging USB devices without 'Safely Removing Hardware', I'm wondering if that is what caused the problem in the first place! I do get a bit complacent with plugging flash sticks in and out without bothering to do this!! Let that be a lesson to all of us non SRHers out there. Once again thanks for all your time and effort trying to help me out, much appreciated.

15. Macboatmaster

Sorry it did not work out
    Best of luck.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!