Solved: Yahoo Mail Classic-- Several Interface Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LoveGoldens

Larry
For years, I used Outlook Express and Outlook. I preferred to use Outlook Express because as a mail program, it did everything I wanted with ease. The interface was intuitive. But, I was forced to change to Outlook because my AVG Internet Security (virus/spam) program would not work with Outlook Express. Outlook has far too many convoluted options and unnecessary 'mini programs' built into it that I have no use for. It's a mess.

So, I opted to use Yahoo Mail Classic, (NOT THE NEW PAID VERSION).

My problems with Yahoo Mail Classic are these:

1. It does not display attached images (.jpg, .bmp, etc.) within the body of messages that I receive from family and friends automatically. Instead, Yahoo forces me to click on "download images" links to download the images to my hard drive. I have to click several different links in order for me to simply 'Open' the image so that I can view it. That is a waste of time and totally rediculous. Neither Outlook Express nor Outlook required such a procedure. And, it's even worse (even rediculous) when I get an email that has 8 or 10 images attached! I have to go through that silly process for each image!

2. MAIN ISSUE: The silly "Compose" interface in (sending a new) Yahoo email.

Why did the programmers decide to make the "Compose" window the size of a postage stamp?? It's not even re-sizeable!! Are they crazy, or just sadistic. I can't even see what my messages will look like before I send them! I could with both Outlook Express and Outlook.

3. Why is there no audible sound alert when "New Mail" arrives in my Inbox? Once again, Outlook Express and Outlook allowed me to use any ".wav" file I wanted to announce/notify me of "New Mail." Yahoo for years has never made that available. An extreme uncaring oversight, IMO. Now, they want to charge people for something that should have been there from day-1 with their program!

QUESTION:
Is it possible for me to alter my Registry settings or do something else that will force my Yahoo Mail "Compose" window to become actual, useable dimensions?

My screen resolution (video card/monitor) is always at 1920x1080. PLENTY OF ROOM to expand the "Compose" window!

I've grumbled here, but maybe someone else will identify with my utter frustration with a company that advertises its product as being something 'great.' --- I hate Yahoo. I will NEVER use Google anything (for reasons of concern over privacy issues). Please, don't recommend G-Mail to me.

I've resigned myself to sticking with Yahoo Mail, but I'm asking for help in getting it to be more than what it is. I want it to be useable for my simple, common, emailing tasks. Are there any "tricks" or other modifications I can employ to solve this "MAIN ISSUE" (above)? :confused:

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
All Web based e-mail providers basically work the same way.

As for the images, it's perfectly normal for the way you have to download them. It'll be the same with Gmail or Hotmail. But, if you want my opinion, you're better off with Yahoo than with the two other ones.

If you want audible sound alerts, you can install the Yahoo toolbar.

The service is free, so don't expect to have it behave exactly like you'd like it. There is nothing you can do in your computer settings nor in the registry to change Yahoo's display.

LoveGoldens

Larry
Thank you for your reply.

I have the Yahoo Toolbar installed. It's part of my AVG Internet Security program, but there is nothing in that Toolbar that has anything to do with sound alerts. I think you must be referring to Yahoo's NEW "Plus" version, which they charge money for.

I appreciate your comments about the different email programs. But, it still irks me to no end that even though Yahoo Mail Classic is "free," that they neglected making it a better product than what it is. They've had years to incorporate simple features, but didn't.

Personally, I'd be quite embarrassed if I programmed something that had so many weak points -- free or not! Outlook Express is free, but it has great features that make using it easy, which I would imagine is what most email users want. The only problem I face is having to pay an ISP for service, since I'm on SS. But, the program is still free! Yahoo should be more concerned over its user-base of customers. My opinion.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, I'm using Windows XP Home Edition (if that applies)?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
OE isn't really free since it's part of your XP operating system...

I have used Yahoo! Mail for ten years and I must say it has been pretty reliable. Some of my e-mail messages are 10 years old and have never been deleted by mistake, by Yahoo.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Take a look at "Thunderbird" by the Mozilla organization. I just opened it to 'compose' and found that the form could be made full screen size by clicking the "square" in the upper right corner of the page as can be done with most anything that does not fill the screen.

I do not know if a sound can be programmed for a new received message. I do not use Tbird, but have it installed.

{redoak}

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online