1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Yahoo mail link & address bar don't work

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Deacon, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deacon

Deacon Thread Starter

I cannot open my Yahoo email account on my laptop running Vista Home Premium. My laptop's homepage is Yahoo. When I click on the email link, I get this error message: "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page". Also, I cannot go to any site using the address bar. When I try, I get the same error message as above. I ran CCleaner. The links to the news stories work, though. I can open my yahoo email account on my Ipad 2 and PC and go to any website using the address bar but not on the laptop. Would you help me, please? Thanks.
    BJB

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. Deacon

Deacon Thread Starter

I'm posting while on my Ipad 2. It's fine. How can I go "here" on my laptop (the one with the problem) when I can't go to any site other than my browser homepage? (The links to the news stories work.) As per my first post, when I put any address in my address bar I get the error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". . .same result when I click on "mail" on the Yahoo homepage. I can open Yahoo mail on my Ipad and PC.

4. Phantom010

You had not specified you couldn't connect to any other page than your Yahoo home page, which is pretty odd. You mentioned Yahoo! Mail and addresses typed in the address bar. What about links? What about running a search with Yahoo or Google?

5. Phantom010

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan settings > Proxy server > Advanced > delete proxy server settings > click OK > uncheck all boxes > click OK.

6. Deacon

Deacon Thread Starter

All of the links on the Yahoo homepage work except the two email links (the one in the upper right corner and the one in the column on the left) and the "Trending Now" links. Edit: there is another email link in a bar across the top of the page that doesn't work either.

7. Phantom010

What happens if you click on my links?

8. Deacon

Deacon Thread Starter

"Advanced" is frayed out. To make it active, I will need to put a check in the box that says, "Use a proxy server for your LAN. (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections)." Should I check that box?
    My laptop cannot get to your page to click on a link.

9. Phantom010

Then, there's no proxy.

10. Deacon

Deacon Thread Starter

I didn't proof read my last post. It should have said "grayed" -- not frayed. My Ipad 2 made the correction and I didn't catch it.

What does "no proxy" mean? Can it be fixed? Could that cause my problem? If it could, how could I have lost it? My address bar and email link used to work a few weeks ago. Would it help to do a system restore?

11. Phantom010

You should not have a proxy server in there. If the box is unticked, it means no proxies are enabled. That's OK.

12. Deacon

Deacon Thread Starter

Then, I guess, there are no "proxy server settings" to delete. Right? I appreciate your help. Any other suggestions?

44 minutes later.
    Going to bed now. It 12:33 am here. Be back in the morning.

13. Phantom010

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open an elevated command prompt.

In the Command Prompt, type in the bold text, one command after the other, pressing Enter between each one of them:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Restart the computer.

14. Deacon

Deacon Thread Starter

Done. Unfortunately, no change.

15. Phantom010

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Copy/paste: cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter.

If no luck,

Try either OpenDNS or Google Public DNS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice